t5 6 and t5 8 - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 08:31   #11 (permalink)

Re: t5 6 and t5 8

g'day,
took your info up to the shop. the box i have in hand (I6) is 24 tooth, but shorter with a smaller duty bearing.

I have given up putting this box behind dads clevo, an input shaft to suit is simply not available.

This box is actually out of the last of the Xf's.
Next step for this box is suitability to go into my EB I6....afterall i searched for a manual.

Dad XF ute...well thats looking like a money pit.... suggestions?

cheers
Jas

Ps...not arguing....just picking you brain :)
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 15:33   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
g'day,
took your info up to the shop. the box i have in hand (I6) is 24 tooth, but shorter with a smaller duty bearing.

I have given up putting this box behind dads clevo, an input shaft to suit is simply not available...
Is the input shaft out of the box? Did you count the teeth yourself? XF only ever ran a 22 tooth input. If the box is a true 24 tooth box it can accept about 5 different inputs to suit the application. I6 length is the correct length for a clevo anyway. Can you post a pic of the input and the box? Ben.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:32   #13 (permalink)

Ben,
yes i can post a pic, but it will take me time....need to borrow a mates computer to suck images off the camera, then transfer them here.

I did a comparative measurement from the EB V8 box to the XF ute I6 box.
From front of the case to end of mainshaft was identical!. 627mm.

But from the front of the input to end of the main, the I6 box was 25mm shorter.
I simply cannot see it mating to a clevo/windsor...despite my early hopes.

We know for certain that the I6 box in hand is VERY short in first,,,based on comparison to others...20kmh and its valve bouncing!

I am pretty sure its 24 teeth on the input shaft, but will check (the box is in bits atm) from its excursion in comparison to the VS close ratio V8.

The other difference hinted at in my previous post... On the I6 the bearing on the input shaft pretty much sits in the box, whereas the V8 was external...ie the input shaft cover...(dunno the correct name for this part...but the thrust bearing slides on it)is vastly different.

One of my customers has a listing of the T5 part numbers and thier applications....just emailed him for a copy.

Hopefully in my dumb questions we can help others!

Cheers
JAs
Old 10-19-2005, 15:40   #14 (permalink)

The input shaft bearings are the same. The V8 retainer has a longer support for the longer snout. Check the I6 input, but it sounds like it has a 3.5 ratio first gear, which is a 22 tooth input. Ben.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24   #15 (permalink)

Damm never thought to measure the carrier.
when i saw the pyhsical difference it was enough for me to understand what was going on.

Pity the V8 t5 is now fitted....but i do know of two others that are benched i can measure up.

It is amazing the diff the box made to the 185kw 5.0 anything over 2500 rpm (not sure on diff ratio...EB XR8...formerly auto) but this sucker has SERIOUS MUMBO!

I have owned some serious cars in my time.. 220kw 186 in an EJ, and an XD 351 (supposedly mild worked)4 speed, and this thing is way up there!! was a joy to test drive...not my fuel either LOL

Cheers
Jas
Old 11-08-2005, 05:57   #16 (permalink)

Hey all
I have a 5 speed manual tx5 V6 i waz just wondering how hard it is to change the clutch as it has finally given way....
Is there an easy way of doing this??

hot_tx5
hot_tx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:00   #17 (permalink)

SHIT YER!!

give it to someone else!!
LMAO

Jas
Old 11-20-2005, 23:12   #18 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk

I am trying to find others who have put an I6 T5 up to a clevo...need info.... apart from that am trying to source parts to put my hands on for some measurements.
anyone done it???
I have a 6 cyl T5 mated up to a Cleveland in my XE, but I don't know thorough details as my brother, who did most of the mechanical work on the project, was the one who researched it all beforehand and got it set up.

From what I remember, the input shaft of a V8 T5 was too long to fit in the Cleveland, a conclusion I think I read that you'd come to yourself, which confirms what I'd heard. The first one I had came from an ED, which blew up not long ago (stripped all the teeth off third gear, I wasn't driving it so I didn't see/hear what it did or what kind of load it was under), and I've just replaced it with one from a 96 XH ute. To get them to fit was quite easy, we had lugs welded to the bottom of the standard bellhousing to redrill the bottom bolt holes as it's a deeper box, and we had to machine down the diametre of the input bearing cover for it to fit in the hole. I can't think of anything else we had to do. I don't know about clutches and splines, but my brother would've got a heavy clutch to fit that box, not necessarily an XE clutch.

My brother had just put in a 3.23:1 diff after having a 2.92:1 when the old box blew, before I'd driven it with the new diff, and what I have found interesting is that 5th gear between the 2 setups (ED box with a 2.92 diff, and XH box with a 3.23 diff) is pretty much exactly the same, so the XH ute box has a taller 5th gear than the earlier one, which works out brilliantly as it's lower in all the other gears because of the lower diff, but the open road is the same. It's win win.

Nathan
XE302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline