T5 complete! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 20:52   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

T5 complete!

Had the T5 fitted yesterday and picked the car up today. All I can say is that im stoked with the new box. What an improvement over the 3 speed! Although, it's no where near as smooth and quiet as the 3 speed was. This thing is clunky and noisy but I still love it. It's gonna take a while to get used to the gears though. I drive a lot of newer "hot 4" style cars at work with their smooth shifting manual's....The EA gearbox in comparison is hard to change gears in but I guess I'm comparing 1988 technology to stuff that is 10-14 years newer. The other thing that doesn't help with the gear changes is the loose fitting aftermarket gearknob that I bought. Buggered if I know where I put the original knob.

Smoothness and quietness aside, it craps on the auto for performance. Even with my low 2.77 ratio diff it winds out quite quickly in 1st and 2nd. Easy to light the tyres now! I'm also gonna be looking closely at my fuel consumption now and see if the MPI and T5 makes a difference....I'm hoping to get quite a few more kay's out of a tank. I used to get around 380km's out of a tank of Mobil 8000 (city driving).

The only thing that is playing up now is there is a shocking flat spot in the engine when your driving along sometimes. The mechanics said they fixed it but it's still there. He said it was caused by lack of vacume because the 'O' rings around two of the injectors were stuffed and it was sucking outside air. It's really bad, the car just dies on you...tacho drops to 0rpm even when your doing 80km's. It died on me 3 times on the way home so I'll take it back to them tomorrow.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

onya dude :)

congrats SPHELL, you have a sweet ride now, nice in low on 17's with MPFI 5 Speed, time to cain some holden ass mate.
Did u time your CFI 3 speeds 0-100 time?, if u did do it again now.
I bet there would be a huge difference. Good luck with ya flat spot, actually my scooter has a flat spot!, no shit i'm serious. I should check it outi'm just to lazy.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Well done mate. Its good to hear about another successful T5 conversion.
Hope that flat spot can be fixed easily.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Ford Anti B&S Squad

Well Done

Well done mate i am thinking about doing the conversion. Did you get the fire wall strengthened for the clutch cable?. Also how much was it all up and were did you get it done. Cause if you had no probs with the conversion i might sus it out were you got it done.

Thanks Mate
EA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 09:16   #5 (permalink)

Re: Well Done

Well done Doug, I bet that thing hauls serious ass now. If I see you driving around I will have to avoid the traffic light confrontation. lol

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 09:32   #6 (permalink)

Re: Well Done

Congrats on the car cant wait to see it this weekend, and with the box how much that cost u to get put in, just wondering and was/is it in good condition. And heaps of ppl have said that the 3/4spd box was smoother than the t5, but what it lacks in refinement it will make up for in 1/4 mile time :) .
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:46   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Good Shit man, sounds like a sweet ride....
...looks like we'll be attracting a lot of chix on Sunda

Sundeep
--
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 13:53   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: .

Yer that's if u keep your head out of site sundeep :p

Doug, can't wait to see it mate. U gotta take me for a spin on Sunday, I wanna see how the T5 goes with the 2.77.

If you need to replace the injector O rings, I'm pretty sure Burson have a kit for them. Shouldn't take longer then an hour to do.
Old 05-03-2002, 14:56   #9 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

LOL @ sundeep

hehe nice one bass, T5 would go down nicely wif 3.45 LSD :)
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 15:12   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

If I kept my head outta site Bass, there'd be no reason to look in the car...

Sundeep
--
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline