T5 Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 04:03   #1 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

T5 Conversion

Just a few q's on this, I have helped performed this on a car but I have a few query's.

Will the tailshaft need to be changed? it was a 4spd auto in a wagon, it appears to line up ok, the end of the box lines up with the mark on the tailshaft where it lined up with the 4spd box. It also drives ok, im thinking they're the same but want to make sure, my workshop manual doesnt tell me squat about this.

We swapped the whole motor and gearbox out of an EB1 sedan, everything went in ok. Will there have to be any wiring loom modifications? We plugged everything in and it started up and acted fine while driving, we even had reverse lights. The clutch pedal switch isnt connected either, but it all runs smooth and behaves normally.

I think thats all for now, any comments are greatly appreciated
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 12:12   #2 (permalink)

Tailshaft will be okay. I believe the clutch pedal switch is for cruise control.
Old 02-10-2003, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

hey xploded, how hard was it to change the pedal box over?
Old 02-10-2003, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

It requires you to remove Dashboard which can be time consuming I took me 4Hrs to change Pedal box assembly in my car, it was the longest part of the conversion.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:45   #5 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

The dash isnt that hard or complicated, you dont even need to take it out of the car. I reckon it can be done in 2 hours very easily, that is remove dash, remove pedal box and reinstall everything.

Remove the centre console which you have to do anyway for the selector, then there's 4 10mm bolts - one behind each kick panel and two under the stereo fascia. 2 13mm bolts for the steering column and 1 13mm for the handbrake. Then you remove the panel infront of the dash under the windscreen and take out the 6 screws and it'll come away form the firewall. If you take the steering column out beforehand you can just move the seats all the way back and rest it on the floor while changine the pedal boxes over. Saves you having to disconnect all the wiring loom from the dash which means completely pulling it apart which in my opinion is a total waste of time and is unnecessary.

The pedal box is then secured by 4 15mm nuts around the brake booster shaft which also holds the brake booster to the firewall and 1 13mm nut to the left of those aswell. Then theres 3 13mm nuts at the top on the firewall behind where the instrument cluster sits. And no you just cant take out the instrument cluster to get at these bolts as you will have to destroy the air duct that runs behind it, you cant move it out without taking the moving the dash forward anyway, and if you could there still isnt enough room to manouvre the pedal box out with the dash stuck to the firewall.

Also with the clutch pedal switch, the eb1 we pulled it out of didnt have cruise control but had wiring for it and was plugged in, today I went and had a look at how he was going with putting the rest of the dash back together as he was fixing up all his stereo wiring and he's found a plug for it anyway, so we'll see how it goes.

TQE's
Old 02-11-2003, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
EA II S-pac Owner

I have an EA II S and am also considering doing the t5 conversion. I am just curious to know roughly how much it will set me back and what kind of hassles I will be faced with. Any info will be heaps appreciated. Cheers, Jake

EAII Falcon S
Mods: Pacemaker extractors, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback Exhaust, Crow Stage 2 Cam, K&N, Sony head unit, Kenwood 6x9" and Clarion 4"...
Coming: 17" rims, and King superlows..
Jakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 00:14   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Well my mate bought a whole car for $1500, but from everyone elses experiences for the whole kit from a wrecker can cost anywhere between $500 and $1500.

The only real hassle with the conversion is swapping the peddle box, if you are mechanically minded it'll be easy. Although we took the whole engine out doing the conversion it still isnt a very technically minded job, tho the bellhousing bolts may cause frustration. It is a very wothwhile mod in my opinion

TQE's
Old 02-12-2003, 03:18   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Mine Cost $800 I bought a GL with a blown up CFI motor and changed all the neccesary parts onto my Ghia the only problem is the GL doesent have Clutch sensor to stop cruise control but thats no drama.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline