T5 Conversion/Auto for sale - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 01:00   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

T5 Conversion/Auto for sale

Hey guys,

I purchased a T5 conversion kit the other day for $500 :) I pick everything up tomorrow afternoon (NSW public holiday today).

I just have a few questions before I start the conversion.

The box and all the parts are out of an EA with 230,000k's on it and will be going into an EB II.

1)
Is the 3.9L flywheel any different to the 4.0L version? I would prefer to put a 4.0L clutch in it, but if the flywheel won't accept it, I'll have to stick with the 3.9L clutch. If I have to put a 3.9L clutch in it, I do have one in the shed, but I don't know how much of a life span they have. It still has at least 1mm of material left on it before the rivets, how long can I expect to get out of it?

2)
The box itself apparently has a slight whine in 2nd, 3rd and reverse, but still changes and drives smoothly (so I've been told). I know T5's tend to get a bit of a whine in them, but I don't know whether this is the same whine. Which gears does this usually occur in? How much would a trans place charge to put new bearings in? What else causes whine in these boxes? Should I worry about the whine at all? I know my EA whined in every gear (albeit extremely loudly!!) and the box ended up shitting itself after about 3 months. I just don't want to spend more than neccessary.

3)
What problems will I come across if I use the existing 4.0L auto ECU? This is the only part I have been unable to source. The wreckers said they converted an ED last week, didn't touch the ECU and it runs perfectly. I thought idle problems would result if the ECU wasn't changed, if the car even starts. I do have a 3.9L MPI ECU, will this run the 4.0L motor??? Are any of the pin outs different or anything?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to do this conversion properly and not have the box die after 3 months like the last car!!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Re: T5 Conversion/Auto for sale

Oh yeah, forgot to add:

My 4spd auto is for sale.

It has 155,000k's on it, it's in perfect condition, serviced in August.

The problems I was having with it previously turned out to be electrical not mechanical. If the same problem returns and can be proven that it's not electrical, I WILL take the box back.

I'm asking $450 for the box by itself

OR

$570 with all the necessary bits and pieces to convert a 3spd or a 5spd to a 4spd auto.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

Old 10-06-2003, 05:20   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

whats the build month of your eb mate?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

It's a Feb 92 model. Non-smartlock.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:38   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

The only problem with the ECU is it'll idle a bit high.

Whine: Dunno for sure but could be bearings. If it's faint you don't have to worry for a little while yet. Bearing kit costs me $500 and $50 to have it shimmed up, so $550 if you do the work yourself, or $1500 for an exchange unit.

I dunno about the flywheel, 3.9 clutch has a good life anyway. Mine's secondhand and so far has done 15 000 km or so.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

$500???????? Really?

I got quoted $400 inc labour for the bearings in my EA with the box still in the car!

If thats how much it's gunna cost, it's going in the car as is! lol

Old 10-06-2003, 05:53   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

also along with a high idle the idle wont be the same all the time. Mine used to be 2/5k then normal, then 1k etc... Used to annoy the shit outa me.

I dont think the flywheels were changed. you might want to get them to compare the bolt holes on the 3.9 and 4.0 clutch if you buy a new one, something id recommend considering how cheap they are.

Reinforce your firewall. Id recommend the pedelbox reinforcing method but simply beefing up the firewall seems to wor for other people.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:15   #8 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Sourcing a 5spd ECU is going to be real hard here!

The wrecker I am getting the box off doesn't have anything newer than EA's and the other wrecker don't have any manuals in their yard.

I am a bit worried about this whine now!! Should I do the bearings or just chance it? I don't want to have to spend heaps of money. I will get a new clutch, I was planning on it but just needed to know about the flywheel differences. I think I might just take the EA cover assy and compare it with the EB version.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:48   #9 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

What causes the common whine that just about all T5's have??? I think that is what this box has. I have driven my mates EB 5spd and it has a whine in 2nd, but doesn't sound bad, it just sounds like it's supposed to be there. Can't say I have ever noticed anything in 3rd or reverse though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline