Ford Forums banner

T5 "CrUUnCH" when selecting reverse

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MadMax 
G
#1 ·
ever since the V8 conversion, whenever I select reverse, The T5 crunches before it goes into reverse. The only way to prevent this sometimes is to fiddle around, ie select 3rd, 4th and push the cluutch in and out a few times etc before putting it into reverse. In all other gears there is no such problem, drives fine on the open road and in traffic.

Im suspecting a stuffed reverse syncro. if this is the case, how long can it last before "party over??":shrug:

#2 ·
MM I think it maybe a T5 thing. Mine does it and my mates does it aswell. It doesnt do it all the time but sometimes it doesnt want to engage reverse at all. Best thing to do is select second then go for reverse, works everytime and will save your box.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Im certainly no T5 expert but ford workshop manuals say to depress the clutch and wait 5 secs to engage reverse gear.I would say that this gives the input shaft enough time to stop turning, effectively making the box think the engine is off - Try it and see how you go.

#5 ·
Don't worry it's a T5 thing! Even the Commodores have the same trouble..I doupt the slight crunch will do any damage,sounds worse than it is..Though I try to avoid doing it..

#6 ·
As uteman said, I think its a trait of the T5. My XF does exactly the same thing. I always select 2nd(or 5th) then go into reverse. Works all the time everytime.

And i don't think its just the T5. Me old gemini did it(heaven forbid that car!!!) and my brothers landcruiser does it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much

#7 ·
i think you will find the clutch is a bit slow to disingage,

the reason it doesnt crunch in the forward gears is because they have sincro's..and this helps selection of gears without the crunch.

reverse gear has no sincro's and that means you have to wait for the clutch to fully disengage and stop the input shaft of the gear box from turning for a smooth reverse gear selection.

how old is the clutch??

regards jim

#8 ·
xf351gt said:
to start off with, there is no syncro on reverse gear in any manual boxes. if it has been doing since an engine change maybe the new motor is idleing too high?
Not true!. The later T5s have a 'synchro' type thing that hangs off the back of 5th gear (on the cluster, if I remember correctly), so that when the lever is pulled toward reverse it engages and slows everthing (the cluster gear and therefore all the other gears) right down so reverse can be engaged without crunching. My EF box had one of these in it and never crunched into reverse. When I fitted an earlier box it all started happening again.

#9 ·
Yeap i can say it's a characteristic as well. We had an EB with a T5 and unless reverse was selected slowly it would crunch.

But in the EF and AU it never crunches in reverse.

G
#10 ·
Great White said:
Im certainly no T5 expert but ford workshop manuals say to depress the clutch and wait 5 secs to engage reverse gear.I would say that this gives the input shaft enough time to stop turning, effectively making the box think the engine is off - Try it and see how you go.

Thanks Gt. White.

I wait 5 seconds with the clutch engaged, put it in second, then reverse, and hey presto - no crunch....did this about ten times and problem solved - must be a T5 thing - thanks guys

G
#11 ·
EXECJIM said:
i think you will find the clutch is a bit slow to disingage,

the reason it doesnt crunch in the forward gears is because they have sincro's..and this helps selection of gears without the crunch.

reverse gear has no sincro's and that means you have to wait for the clutch to fully disengage and stop the input shaft of the gear box from turning for a smooth reverse gear selection.

how old is the clutch??

regards jim
New FMS HD clutch...waited 5 secs and now all ok:thup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.