Ford Forums banner

T5 grating on selecting reverse

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  EA S 
#1 ·
My T5 baulks and grates on selecting reverse, but it's intermittent. Cured temporarily by adjusting tighter. Not related to oil temperature. Pedal fully depressed and not obstructed by mats or anything else. Adjustment nut on clutch cable doesn't move after adjustment. Firewall has gone previously and been welded. I'd say firewall is strong suspect as went thorugh exactly same on XF and firewall eventually pulled through, but no sign of any fresh cracks or flexing in this firewall. Cable appears in good condition. Forward gears OK.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what it might be.

#2 ·
EA S said:
My T5 baulks and grates on selecting reverse, but it's intermittent. Cured temporarily by adjusting tighter. Not related to oil temperature. Pedal fully depressed and not obstructed by mats or anything else. Adjustment nut on clutch cable doesn't move after adjustment. Firewall has gone previously and been welded. I'd say firewall is strong suspect as went thorugh exactly same on XF and firewall eventually pulled through, but no sign of any fresh cracks or flexing in this firewall. Cable appears in good condition. Forward gears OK.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what it might be.
So your saying you cant adjust the clutch anymore???

#3 ·
There's more adjustment left, but I've done it a few times and it comes back after less than a couple of hundred k's. I've marked a flat on the nut and it hasn't moved. I'm just wary of adjusting it up further as I did this with XF before I knew it was pulling through firewall and just made things happen quicker.

#4 ·
EA S said:
There's more adjustment left, but I've done it a few times and it comes back after less than a couple of hundred k's. I've marked a flat on the nut and it hasn't moved. I'm just wary of adjusting it up further as I did this with XF before I knew it was pulling through firewall and just made things happen quicker.
Thats a good idea coz those nuts do move over time. Because its a six i'm assuming they have same setup clutch fork as XF's. If this is the case check the fork as they have a rubber bush that the cable attaches to and they have a habit of gradually pulling out...

#6 ·
The T5 is an old style box without synchro on reverse. To enjoy noise free selection of reverse gear, select a forward gear (I normally go second) and then straight to reverse. Car must be standing still. On T56 etc there is a synchro on reverse and a lockout for speeds greater than 5 or 10 km/h.

Try the trick above - no more noises!

#7 ·
Aussie Pete said:
The T5 is an old style box without synchro on reverse. To enjoy noise free selection of reverse gear, select a forward gear (I normally go second) and then straight to reverse. Car must be standing still. On T56 etc there is a synchro on reverse and a lockout for speeds greater than 5 or 10 km/h.

Try the trick above - no more noises!
Was under the impression that T5 from about '93 on had syncro on reverse :confused:

#8 ·
XR8220 said:

Was under the impression that T5 from about '93 on had syncro on reverse :confused:
Well if it does, mine missed out. Or it's a very weak synchro.

#9 ·
Aussie Pete said:

Well if it does, mine missed out. Or it's a very weak synchro.
Pete your right, as far as i know the T5 in falcons don't have syncro in reverse. Yeah always gotta come to a complete stop before selecting reverse.

With my tranny i can select reverse anytime and no noise, however if it won't go into reverse i put it in first clutch out abit, then select reverse.

#10 ·
Ok guys, but reading from the Repair manual, re the T50D transmission. Falcon EB II - ED.

Quote:

Transmissions which have been manufactured after July 1992 are equipped with a reverse gear synchroniser. These transmissions also have a reduced second, third and fifth gear end floats, and a revised reverse inhibitor spring.

End Quote

Thoughout the manual it refers to differences between the early and latter transmission, and refers to how to chaeck the reverse syncro ring and cone for wear.

Now maybe I am misreading this, or maybe the Gregory's (yes I know) is just plain wrong, but I certianly did get more gear crash in the EB (April 92) than in the current car.

#11 ·
Ok EF_GuY has done some research. I have taken this quote from the EF Falcon Repair Manual for Falcons built September 94 onwards,

Taken from Part 6-2 5 SPEED FULLY SYNCRONISED MANUAL SHIFT TRANSMISSION MODEL T50OD

Quote: "A shift interlock system, located in the cover prevents engagement of more than one gear. Thje shift detent is located in the extension housing turret and consists of a detent plate, offset lever and spring loaded ball. All gears except reverse are syncronized and helical cut for smooth, crisp shifts and quiet operation."
End Quote.

#12 ·
IDGASWTMS, mine crunches when you select reverse so that spells no synchro in my book.

(I Don't Give A S**t What The Manual Says....)

#13 ·
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Ok EF_GuY has done some research. I have taken this quote from the EF Falcon Repair Manual for Falcons built September 94 onwards,

Taken from Part 6-2 5 SPEED FULLY SYNCRONISED MANUAL SHIFT TRANSMISSION MODEL T50OD

Quote: "A shift interlock system, located in the cover prevents engagement of more than one gear. Thje shift detent is located in the extension housing turret and consists of a detent plate, offset lever and spring loaded ball. All gears except reverse are syncronized and helical cut for smooth, crisp shifts and quiet operation."
End Quote.
2 manuals, 2 different stories. I guess I don't really give a **** either, just passing on what I had written in front of me. Even if it is wrong. :(

#14 ·
ok, my last bit of BS on the subject.

This is a page from the manual

note the arrow to the reverse gear synchros. Don't know enough about gearboxes to really know what I am looking, but at least you know where I am coming from.

#15 ·
XR8220 said:
ok, my last bit of BS on the subject.

This is a page from the manual

note the arrow to the reverse gear synchros. Don't know enough about gearboxes to really know what I am looking, but at least you know where I am coming from.
XR8220,

If you look at the first/second selector, you will see that their is a straight cut gear around it. This is reverse... To select it an idler gear is slid into place to mesh with it and the countershaft gears. There is no syncro there.

#16 ·
Jase_ELXR8 said:

XR8220,

If you look at the first/second selector, you will see that their is a straight cut gear around it. This is reverse... To select it an idler gear is slid into place to mesh with it and the countershaft gears. There is no syncro there.
Cool, thanks for that Jase_ELXR8, that makes sense. Guess Gregory's have mislabled the diagram and description.

When I got the EB a few years back it always bugged me that the gears would crash when putting into reverse. That's what led me to the description of the gearbox in the Repair Manual, pissed me off that according to the manual the box got syncro's on reverse a couple of months after my EB was built.

Upgrading to the AU2 hadn't changed that impression as in the AU selection of reverse has seemed a lot easier and haven't had any crashing of gears. I guess maybe just that its a new box unlike the old tired unit in the EB and do tend to come a stop before putting in reverse.

AnywayI am happy to accept that the T5 does not have syncro on reverse. :eek: (I will have to get the real Repair Manual next time:rolleyes: )

#17 ·
yeah just thought i'd post what'd the ford work shop manual says, not intending to point any faults or anything to anyone, just tryin to help out thats all.

Compared to the T5 in our EB1 Wagon, my T5 feels light years ahead in shift quality and refinement. Feels like it's an entirely different gearbox. And yeah reverse is heaps easier to get into as well.
I remember the gearbox in the EB when revved hard couldn't be hurried. From 5th into 3rd at 100km or so is no dramas with my tranny. :D :D

#18 ·
There's a few real tech heads in here.... :cool: ;) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.