Ford Forums banner

T5 oil change and fuel system service

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My EA's shifting hasn't been so good lately, been a bit hard to get into gear. I've been asking around for the causes of this and have been told that the main cause is low/bad/old oil.

I think I might take this opportunity to change the oil this weekend. Just want to know what you experts think is the best way to change it, and what oil you all use. I would like to use an oil that's good for the box and improves shift quality. What do you all recommend?

Another thing, the fuel consumption hasn't been too good lately either. It's got nothing to do with a lead foot either, it's been driven by my mum who takes the award for Best Grandma Driver (tm). I'd like to know what the main causes of this would be and what to check/replace in the fuel system.

Thanks in advance guys :running:

Sundeep

#3 ·
Cheers Jack,

Anyone else got any advice?

Sundeep

#4 ·
Mum was having problems with the shift in her Galant, so our mechanic tried that Nulon stuff that Jack is talking about. The problem seems to have disappeared, although 1st - 2nd still grates a tiny bit. Maybe that's to do with the way I drive it though... :s4

Ash

#5 ·
Castrol Syn Trans, as the name suggests its a fully sythetic Trans fluid, suits the T5 perfectly.

Their Sythetic diff fluid is fantastic also.

#6 ·
ATF [1.9 Ltr] or as stated above. Thin oil is better in these needle bearing box's...Better on syncro's too...

#7 ·
Thanks guys,

Any tips or tricks on how to actually change the oil?

Sundeep

#9 ·
Sundeep said:
Thanks guys,

Any tips or tricks on how to actually change the oil?

Sundeep
Undo the filler plug, then undo the drain plug.
To fill it up I used a small $3 plastic hand pump from supercheap, which seemed to work pretty good.

Biggest issue is your working right next to the exhaust! But I did mine when the car was cold, Auto Trans fluid (which it should have in it...) pretty much has the same viscosity whether hot or cold so it doesnt really matter, unlike engine oil.

#11 ·
I cut a coke bottle in half and used some flex conduit or plastic hose tapped to bottle neck.The pipe / hose run from the engine compartment .. Better with two people though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.