Ford Forums banner

T5 oil recommendations

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cArSiK 
#1 ·
After recently changing my T5 oil with Castrol DextronIII ATF im starting to notice that it crunches into second on cold changes , not so much when warm (but still a little). I know AFT is recommended by ford but what do you guys use or recommend? I ran a search and found some of you were going to try a 50/50 gear oil / aft mix – does it work well? Keep in mind that it is a 94 ED…

Thanks
James :s6:

#2 ·
I've never used ATF in T5's.
I personally feel ATF isn't up to the task as it doesn't have the film strength which gear oil has.

Penrite make a light gear oil which is perfect for the T5 as it can be difficult to shift in cold weather with heavier gear oils.

It is 'Manual gear oil extra light', and is a 75/80 grade oil.
http://www.penrite.com.au/nextpage.php?navlink=db/productview.php&id=44

Rick.

#3 ·
My formula having owned 3 T5 manual falcons, is to use ATF Dextron with Nulon G70. The gearbox in the EF has done 240,000km with some hard driving and the gearbox shows no signs of wear in the shift and syncro's i have also accidently coped a few gear crunches under hard acceleration.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.
I may just give that Nulon stuff a go...

#5 ·
Strange you would say it does it with atf ? Thats what usually used when gear crunch happens. Yes atf with some friction additive..

That 75/ 80 grade light oil is thin also almost as this as atf. So long as it isn't the old "Hypoid" 80 gear box [diff?] oil..It doesn't lube the tight needle roller bearings and too thick for synchro's to work etc...

#6 ·
Have a look at Castrol Syntrax if they still make it. We used to use it in the WRX to increase the feel of the notchy box no end. On quickish changes, you could beat the syncros between 1-2 and 2-3 resulting in a crunch. Downchanges weren't a problem due to heal toe & double clutching. Another oil to look at is the Amsoil Series 2000 gear oil. I ran that one in both front & rear diffs and gearbox and it was excellent.
See www.amsoil.com for details and www.castrol.com.au .

#8 ·
i have used Dexron III in both my ebs, changed after they would crunch 3rd the first time it was selected in the mornings, the dexron fixed it up quick smart....

are you sure you put enough oil in the box? did you have the car level and fill it to the height of the filler plug?

#9 ·
rollin:
I put 2L in it , it says 1.9 is the go. It didnt however trickle out the filler plug....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.