T5 Oil Top Up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2003, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

T5 Oil Top Up

Hey guys.

My EA's T5 is currently filled with auto trans fluid. I spoke to a few people and I have had a range or opinions as to what should go into the box.

I was told that the I6 T5 should use auto trans fluid, and the V8 box needs gear oil (eg VMX 80). A few suggested to run a 50/50 mix.

The box needs a bit of a top up, do you guys suggest I top up with auto trans fluid, gear oil, or change completely to gear oil.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 01:20   #2 (permalink)

Well its personal choice really, and depends on what you have in it now. I put VMX80 in mine, and the shifting was hard! Put some Dexron III in and it did wonders.
I suppose the gearboxes have a mind of its own ....
Trial and Error
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 04:09   #3 (permalink)

Dextron III, no additives, no problems. Gear oil WILL lessen performance and lifespan.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:31   #4 (permalink)

Full synthetic Auto trans fluid here (Castrol Transmax or something) shift quality is great.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:51   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Hey guys.

I'm currently very happy with the shift quality of the box.
I was under the impression that a thicker oil (eg. VMX 80) would help protect/lubricate the box better, so she will last longer, not that there is anything wrong with the thing. hmmmm seems this in not the case.

Thanks for thin input so far guys.
Old 04-05-2003, 15:07   #6 (permalink)

i heard the VMX80 is for the EB and ED boxes, not the EA one, although i was under the impression they are the same....guess not. The VMX80 though, is thicker, making it better for new boxes.
But the Dexron III is thinner, making it the choice for older boxes, which have done ample kms
The grregories manual says to mix the lubrizol with Dexron II. Dexron II has beed discontinued, and replaced with Dexon III which im pretty sure has a substitute of Lubrizol already in it.
That Castrol Transmax Z is the best bar far, being green and all, but i couldnt find it over here in WA so i used Castrol TQ Dexron III instead.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 15:13   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bass Crazy
I was under the impression that a thicker oil (eg. VMX 80) would help protect/lubricate the box better, so she will last longer, not that there is anything wrong with the thing.
Thicker oil will not get into the close tolerance areas properly, eg needle rollers under first, second and third, bearing surface under fifth, input support. These areas then suffer damage as a result. I wouldn't use VMX 80 to oil the hinges on my garden gate.
Old 04-05-2003, 15:18   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AusCaRnAgEr
i heard the VMX80 is for the EB and ED boxes, not the EA one, although i was under the impression they are the same....guess not.
Ford specified gear oil usage in EB only. I don't know why, because as you say, the boxes are the same. They went back to ATF in ED.
Old 04-05-2003, 15:27   #9 (permalink)

DO not use gear oil in the I6 T5 gearbox! When I first changed the gearbox oil in my ED XR6 I put in 80w-90 gear oil, as I didn't know any better at the time.

With the gear oil it was impossible to change into 2nd gear when cold, the box would just crunch, and it was a lot harder to change into all the gears. I tried adding some lubrizol but this made no difference. The gearbox was also nosiey with the gear oil.

It turns out that gear oil is too thick for the syncro's in the T5 gearbox.

Within a week I drained the gear oil and replaced it was some castrol Dexron III auto trans fuild. This made a huge difference compared to the gear oil. I could now use 2nd gear and the gearbox was alot smoother.

At the moment I am running Castrol Transmax Z full synthetic auto trans fuild. This stuff is awesome! Gear changes are now even smoother than with the standard auto fuild and the box isn't as nosiey. It isn't cheap at about $18 per Litre but is well worth it.
Old 04-05-2003, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

In every T5 Falcon I've owned (88 EA, 89 EA, 93 ED, 95 EF (V8), 97 Xh), I have always drained the ATF and used gear oil.
I have never had a T5 failure, and do a lot of heavy towing.

Some were also drag raced and raced around EC.

Yes, gear selection is firmer when cold, but once warmed up they are fine.

If it were me, I'd use gear oil.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline