T5 Shift Kit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 22:49   #1 (permalink)

T5 Shift Kit

I'm keen to shorten the throw on my 5spd manual, are there any kits out there other than the pricey herrod one?
Even better, anyone want to sell me one?

Thanks
XG PanelVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 07:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: T5 Shift Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG PanelVan
I'm keen to shorten the throw on my 5spd manual, are there any kits out there other than the pricey herrod one?
Even better, anyone want to sell me one?

Thanks
Go on eBay- they sell for really cheap on there and they're really reliable. Just make sure you get a steel shaft instead of aluminum. If you could imagine slamming through the gears when the aluminum finally bends (the cheap companies don't use quality aluminum), that's why you need the steel shaft. I bought one on eBay for my 300ZX for $90 shipped and the throw was shorter than my thumb! I'd really recommend looking into that. It's not like it's an extremely high-precision part that needs to be perfect. Install was really easy, too.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 18:24   #3 (permalink)

I've been looking on ebay for months and i've only ever seen one for a T5 and that was a Herrod one. What should i be searching for? And are there any shift kits from other cars that would work on a T5?
Old 09-21-2005, 18:53   #4 (permalink)

You had me thrown off by "shift kit" on a T-5. Are you American? Most in America refer to what you want as a short throw shifter- have you tried that? Look up "Mustang shift" or "Mustang throw" and see what you get.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Maybe call around to head and block shops and see if any of them would be willing to mill down your stock shifter. I have a friend who did that with his own and he loves it.

My Garage
Old 09-21-2005, 20:35   #5 (permalink)

Now I'm confused, I'm an Aussie in Perth driving a 5spd manual (T5) XG Falcon PanelVan looking for a shift kit (i.e. change of fulcrum point to shorten throw) such as the Herrod Sureshift NOT a short shifter (i.e. shorter or chopped off gear stick).

I'll try to attach a photo of the type of thing i'm looking for...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sureshift.jpg (9.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-24-2005, 03:06   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
... looking for a shift kit (i.e. change of fulcrum point to shorten throw) such as the Herrod Sureshift NOT a short shifter (i.e. shorter or chopped off gear stick).
You are looking for a short shifter. A shift kit is for an auto. A shorter gearstick is not a short shifter.
Old 10-17-2005, 22:42   #7 (permalink)
Rob_XR8_220

Try Mick Webb's SVO on ebay. He has a short shifter which he installed in my AUII XR8. It's as solid as a rock. It's called the SVO Lightning Shifter. I use my car is club sprints so it gets a real work out on the track and has been trouble free.
robmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 23:14   #8 (permalink)

Thanks heaps robmc, that SVO shifter looks pretty good. Is it comparable/better than the Herrod sureshift? From memory I think they're about $600 or so.
Old 10-17-2005, 23:58   #9 (permalink)
Rob_XR8_220

Quote:
Thanks heaps robmc, that SVO shifter looks pretty good. Is it comparable/better than the Herrod sureshift? From memory I think they're about $600 or so.
Yes, the Herrods website quotes $565 (posted) for their T5 shifter. I can't comment on the Herrod product as I haven't used it, so I couldn't say which is better.
robmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:44   #10 (permalink)

I'm following you, now. We have a lot more options here in America. Most eBay short shifters are legitimately built (modified location of the fulcrum, as you put it), which is good because instead of paying $266 (converted to AU for you), we can pay $120 for the same thing minus the name brand.

I don't know how the manufacturers down there get away with charging that much money for shifters. Maybe I should buy some in bulk and ship them down to you!!

Good luck- I know how much more fun cars are with short shifters- trying to figure out a way I'll be able to run a shorter shift in my wagon without it being too low to the floorboard.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline