T5 small flywheel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 14:21   #1 (permalink)

T5 small flywheel

I want to bolt a V8 T5 behind a 351Cwhich is rated 300hp. The engine carries a 164teeth flywheel and a hydraulic RAM clutch. The bellhousing of th eold gearbox doesn't fit my T5.
My T5 Bellhousing fits to the 6bolt pattern, but flywheel and starter do not fit .

So the big question is:
Is there a smaller flywheel available, and if so how do I convert my current mechanical T5 clutch to a hydraulic one. Or is there a bigger bellhousing for the T5 so I could keep the clutch ?
???

Thanks for any help

C.
Carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Buff XC

Re: T5 small flywheel

Castlemaine Rod Shop (CRS) do a custom bell housing for this application which I highly recommend. Are you currently running a Toploader of Single Rail g/box? If so most of the parts you already have will still be useable with the CRS bellhousing & T5.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 00:06   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
Castlemaine Rod Shop (CRS) do a custom bell housing for this application which I highly recommend. Are you currently running a Toploader of Single Rail g/box? If so most of the parts you already have will still be useable with the CRS bellhousing & T5.
He has a V8 T5, so the input shaft will be too long. The tailshaft will have to be shortened to run this box without mods.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55   #4 (permalink)

I have cut und balanced the driveshaft to fit the new total length of the T5, ufortunately with the bell which turned out it is not fitting :o( .
Will speak to C Rod Shop
C.
Old 12-15-2004, 13:26   #5 (permalink)

You should have just changed the input shaft to suit.
Old 12-15-2004, 14:41   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
You should have just changed the input shaft to suit.
had to change output shaft as the old gearbox was ways shorter.

the bellhousing difference is exactly 1/2". The old one turned out to be one of Castlemain's Supra Bellhousings

C.
Old 12-15-2004, 15:37   #7 (permalink)
Buff XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
He has a V8 T5, so the input shaft will be too long. The tailshaft will have to be shortened to run this box without mods.
ok, you've just confused me! The V8 box and CRS bell housing use the standard V8 T5 input shaft (which is different to a 6). And as I found out, the full length tailshaft can be retained from the old box.

Don't know the implications of the Supra bell housing though.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 00:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carloss
had to change output shaft as the old gearbox was ways shorter.

the bellhousing difference is exactly 1/2". The old one turned out to be one of Castlemain's Supra Bellhousings

C.
Supra, single rail, toploader and I6 T5 all use the same LENGTH bellhousing. V8 T5 is about 20ish mm longer.
Toploader, single rail and XF-EL I6 and V8 T5 are all the same body length, if your T5 is longer it must be an AU one.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:57   #9 (permalink)

The solution is to buy the smaller flywheel and a new starter matching it. ( It is an AU bellhousing from Castlemaine )
However I still got stuck with the mechanical clutch lever.
I want to get this thing changed to hydraulic. Is there any hydraulical throwout bearing available ? ( I do not want to fiddle around with an external hydraulic cylinder and a shortened clutch lever )

thanks
C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline