T5 Transmission Troubles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 17:33   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation T5 Transmission Troubles

Hey all -

I'm new to this forum but I was told that it is a great place to get advice for the T-5 transmission. I have recently purchased one to put into my 1988 Merkur XR4Ti (it is a perfect swap and has been done many times).

Anyway, before putting it straight into my car I took it apart to replace things such as seals and bearings. After having trouble getting the tailhousing back on, we figured out how the control arm to the 5th/reverse gear has to be free to wiggle and not locked up. Now the problem is, I can get the tailhousing on but one the shifter is assembled and all, it won't shift into 5th or reverse. Something along the line for those gears is messed up. Any advise?

Also, can anybody reccommend a transmission shop in Northern New Jersey that will service T5 transmissions?

Thanks for any help!

~Andrew West
1988 Merkur XR4Ti Rosso Red
MerkXR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 04:48   #2 (permalink)
Got my 3.45 LSD!

Re: T5 Transmission Troubles

from what your saying its got nothing to do with the gears, its those selector shafts the move up and down which allows you to select 5th and reverse. from memory when i opened up a transaxle gearbox, obviously 5th is above reverse in the selector gate part. now it could be the selector, the shaft, or those little ball bearings inside the shaft that dosent allow you to select more than one gear at once and locks them into place.
hope that can help. im only just learning about manual transmission.

Built with spanners, not chopsticks.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:24   #3 (permalink)

Re: T5 Transmission Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerkXR4
.. After having trouble getting the tailhousing back on, we figured out how the control arm to the 5th/reverse gear has to be free to wiggle and not locked up. Now the problem is, I can get the tailhousing on but one the shifter is assembled and all, it won't shift into 5th or reverse. Something along the line for those gears is messed up. Any advise?...~Andrew West
1988 Merkur XR4Ti Rosso Red
The 5th/reverse shift rail has to be so the roller runs in the 5th/reverse swing arm. If this is around the wrong way you will lose 5th and reverse. If the clip is left off the swing arm you will lose 5th and reverse. If the box is a cluster brake (poor mans synchro) reverse, then you have to line up the drive tag on the friction surface for the reverse blocker ring with the relief in the caes. If you do not you will not be able to engage 5th and reverse. Ben.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline