T56 transmission in a 6cyl - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2004, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

T56 transmission in a 6cyl

Just wondering if this is possible with something from Mal Wood, or do you have to get something specially designed? The idea of a T56 is very tempting, except that 1st gear is a bit low..

Anyway, heres what I was thinking..
At the moment, with a 4spd into a 3.08 (or perhaps 3.23.. the metal tag has been ripped off I think, cause I've looked hard and still can't find anything describing the diff ratio), 1st gear has a final drive ratio of 7.36:1, while 4th is 2.094. I guess the idea is to get the highest ratio in 1st, while maintaining a low ratio in 4/5/6 so you can cruise at reasonable RPM.

With a T56 (022 model.. 2.66:1 1st through to .5:1 6th), and a 4.11 diff, 1st becomes slightly nicer at 10.9:1, while 6th is 2.055. This will actually result in a lower cruise RPM, but perhaps not a LOT more pull off the line. The T5 with 4.11 results in 14.3:1 1st which is just insane, but 3.2:1 in 5th..

The T56 012 model would offer 12.2:1 and 2.54:1 1st and 6th, which might be more suitable..

One thing I am interested in - As the top-gear ratio goes up, and hence RPM at high speeds goes up (eg. 2400RPM at 110, instead of 1900), the other fact is that torque required goes down, so engine load is lower. This means, at least on a healthy petrol engine (LPG is kinda retarded, I'm sure it doesn't account for engine load as much??), there must be less fuel injected per stroke. Does this outweigh the higher RPM required, or at least balance out? EFFalcon was saying he got better economy with a 3.45 than the 3.08, and this is the only explaination I can think of..

So, can a T56 be fitted to a 6cyl EA and does a higher diff = less load and therefore around the same, or even better, fuel consumption?
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 19:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: T56 transmission in a 6cyl

It can be done. The bigger the number, the lower the ratio for diff and primary gears. A T56 probably not worth the cost just for an economy gain. A better set of T5 ratios with a matching diff may be a better solution.
Old 03-28-2004, 21:41   #3 (permalink)

i'm assuming the EL intake piping has helped with my fuel economy aswell, but overall, with the 3.45's and the EL intake piping i'm getting an extra 50km's outa a tank.
STRANGE!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 23:52   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
i'm assuming the EL intake piping has helped with my fuel economy aswell, but overall, with the 3.45's and the EL intake piping i'm getting an extra 50km's outa a tank.
STRANGE!
Not so strange. It is a matter of matching the load against engine rpm. At a higher rpm (same speed) you may actually have less throttle, hence use less fuel. We put 3.7 diff in an AU I6 manual ute and the fuel economy improved by 40%.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline