T56 or Tremec T3550 conversion cost?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Classic Capri Member

T56 or Tremec T3550 conversion cost??

Guys

I need some help hear.

What are some prices you guys have found for a T56 or a tremmec 3550 gearbox to suit a 5.0lt windsor. including belhousing.

I had once before found out from Mal Wood in Warwick about his T56 conversion cost and it was around $6300.00.

As I am biulding this Capri with a 347ci stroker I would rather not be pulling the engine in and out every time I blow up a T5. I want a manual and therefore have no option but to go for a T56 or the tremec.

Maybe Laminge or Aussie Pete could shed somelight on costs for me.

Thanks

David
IRPACAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2002, 00:13   #2 (permalink)

give castlemain rod shop a call.

http://www.rodshop.com.au
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:26   #3 (permalink)

Re: T56 or Tremec T3550 conversion cost??

Quote:
Originally posted by IRPACAUS
Guys

I need some help hear.

What are some prices you guys have found for a T56 or a tremmec 3550 gearbox to suit a 5.0lt windsor. including belhousing.

I had once before found out from Mal Wood in Warwick about his T56 conversion cost and it was around $6300.00.

As I am biulding this Capri with a 347ci stroker I would rather not be pulling the engine in and out every time I blow up a T5. I want a manual and therefore have no option but to go for a T56 or the tremec.

Maybe Laminge or Aussie Pete could shed somelight on costs for me.

Thanks

David
why not a supra box? cheap as well
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 22:18   #4 (permalink)

Re: Re: T56 or Tremec T3550 conversion cost??

Quote:
Originally posted by snavy

why not a supra box? cheap as well
....Because a T5 is much easier, cheaper, and just as weak.

Unless you get one of the trick new 6 speed Supra boxes, which are also expensive and a difficult conversion as the bellhousing is cast integral with the box.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:34   #5 (permalink)

Hey rally,
Your saying a T-5 is as weak as a Supra? I know the Celice 5spd is shite but Ive heard from lots of people the Supra is A1. No negatives at all.
I also thought that the T5 was expensive, rare, blah blah, can you clear it up for me please. I just want to know how hard I can go on the T5 without doing any damage (impossible?). Its a 4ltr OHC 6 motor.
My mates gearbox wasnt the problem as we had thought, the other diff that was put in was the culprit. Anyway a mechanic for Tilford told me the T5 could easily habdle the "power"?? of a 253.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2002, 03:03   #6 (permalink)

There were two versions of the Celica 5 spd - one was alloy and the other was steel, the steel cased celica box was THE gearbox to use for conversions until the Supra box came along.

The T5 has been around now for a while and they are now a lot cheaper than when first introduced on the XF, I have an XD and i remember asking Ford for a conversion price on a T5 - something like 4 grand for a gearbox alone (1987) nowadays I'd imagine 800 to a thousand bucks. The Supra box is still the choice for 5 spd conversions with conversion kits readily available from Dellows and Castlemaine Rod Shop.

For a 4 lt I'd be looking at either a Supra or T5 unless you're really savage up and down the gears then I guess you'd need the Tremic.

Just as a footnote I'd imagine even a Niki's gearbox would handle the power??? of a 253. Ho Ho

anyway hope this clears up some confusion

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 02-21-2002, 14:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XBXR6UTEMAN
Hey rally,
Your saying a T-5 is as weak as a Supra? I know the Celice 5spd is shite but Ive heard from lots of people the Supra is A1. No negatives at all.
I also thought that the T5 was expensive, rare, blah blah, can you clear it up for me please. I just want to know how hard I can go on the T5 without doing any damage (impossible?). Its a 4ltr OHC 6 motor.
My mates gearbox wasnt the problem as we had thought, the other diff that was put in was the culprit. Anyway a mechanic for Tilford told me the T5 could easily habdle the "power"?? of a 253.

Cheers
Lots of people like the T5 as well. They are a good box, but can't handle lots of grunt. All I'm saying is that I don't think that the common supra boxes are any better than a T5. The late model twin turbo boxes are a different story (and cost!)

T5s are relatively cheap. Wreckers sell them for about $600-$1000, and they are cheaper again in the trading post.

The 'power' of a 253. How long is a piece of string? It would depend on how tourquey the motor was, and HOW THE CAR WAS DRIVEN.

cheersbigears....
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:24   #8 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

i've read about a couple of Crummydores that have 300+ horsepower at the wheels still running T5 boxes, they probably had them strengthened but.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Crummydores that have 300+ horsepower

Maybe their horsepower units are smaller than ours.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:32   #10 (permalink)

my mate wants to change his auto box in his crappaddore to a 5 speed manual, how much do you reckon it will cost him? will the people except his auto box, as its still in really good condition?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline