tansmission shifting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 11:17   #1 (permalink)

FORD TURUS tansmission shifting PROBLEMS

My 1994 ford turus wagon 3.8 liter with 90000 miles on it works good but just recently when i first start it up and go it does not shift properly for about a half mile then it works fine for the rest of the day .I Changed the fluid and the filter in the transmission about 20000 ago. just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the problem.Iam kinda hoping that it might be a sensor??? Help Thanks Ken You can email me if you wish velcro1852@yahoo.com
velcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 15:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: FORD TURUS tansmission shifting PROBLEMS

I don't think your transmission is computer-controlled, which would mean a bad sensor wouldn't affect anything. It sounds to me like your first gear bands are starting to slip, but I hope, for your sake, I'm wrong.

Those Tauruses/Sables were famous for bad transmissions.

Call your local dealer or get a Chilton/Haynes manual and find out whether it's computer controlled.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 17:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: tansmission shifting

Could need oil and filter change again.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 19:53   #4 (permalink)

How long had it been before you changed the fluid and filter last time?

My Garage
Old 09-25-2005, 08:49   #5 (permalink)

It was years before i changed the filter and fluid. and it is a eltronic transmission
velcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:16   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcro
It was years before i changed the filter and fluid. and it is a eltronic transmission
First, take it to a shop and have the sensors tested. If one is bad, replace it. If none are bad or the replaced sensor doesn't fix the problem, here's my theory:

If it was years before you changed the fluid, then you basically signed a transmission death wish by doing so.

You see, the bands in an automatic transmission are made of a paper-like material. By changing the fluid regularly, you keep the bands in decent shape. However, if you don't change it for a long time, the miniscule particles (can't even be seen unless in large amounts- looks like grey sludge in the bottom of the pan) start to flow straight through the filter, as the filter element goes bad after a while. The particles get back on the band and cause extra friction, which eventually leads to breakdown.

On the other hand, those particles, in large quantities, like when the fluid isn't changed in a long time (60-70,000 miles), actually provide lubrication, as odd as it sounds. By changing the fluid, you are removing those particles and the filter will catch anything left in the system, so the bands don't have the lubrication they did, which causes them to literally fall apart.

Change your fluid and filter again and this time, inspect the pan. If you see particles bigger than the tip of a ballpoint pen, you're in trouble.

Clicky!
I'm in the middle of installing a new AOD in my wagon (literally- just taking a break) for the same reason. I guarantee I'm going to be much more delicate with my transmission maintenance!!

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline