taxable horse power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
Fitted.....

taxable horse power

Hi,
I was just reading through my owners manual to my EF Fairmont, and where the specs are that state how much power its got and stuff, it says "Taxable Horsepower"

I was just wondering what it meant

Thanks

Toby
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2003, 04:38   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: taxable horse power

they may mean HP lost at the drivetrain.

In other words 157kw at the flywheel may only mean 120 odd at the wheels if your lucky
Ramrod429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:02   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

In my AUII manual it rates the 6 cylinders with 31.7kw as taxable horsepower and 51kw for the V8's.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:08   #4 (permalink)
Fitted.....

ah ok cool thanks for that :D

Toby
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:26   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
In my AUII manual it rates the 6 cylinders with 31.7kw as taxable horsepower and 51kw for the V8's.
interesting. So if that's the supposed loss, that would mean that a 185kw AU1 XR8 loses 51kw, to be 134rwkw. And a VCT XR6 that has 172 loses 32, making it 140 rwkw? It must mean something else because even a stock Forte V8 will flog (well, only just beat) a VCT XR6!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHADby2
interesting. So if that's the supposed loss, that would mean that a 185kw AU1 XR8 loses 51kw, to be 134rwkw. And a VCT XR6 that has 172 loses 32, making it 140 rwkw? It must mean something else because even a stock Forte V8 will flog (well, only just beat) a VCT XR6!
I guess the driveline loss will be dependant on what transmission is behind the engine, a manual will have less power lose than an auto.

In regards to an AU forte V8 beating the VCT it also comes down to weight. The forte being live axle would be lighter than the VCT despite the added weight of the V8.
In terms of power i would hazzard a guess that a VCT XR6 and a V8 forte would put out similar figures at the wheels.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 18:34   #7 (permalink)

Pay Your Taxes!

Occasionally, usually when reading overseas vehicle information, I find reference to taxable horsepower. Taxable horsepower is a simple mathematics calculation used to determine the taxes to be paid on the vehicle. It has very little to do with actual horsepower because it doesn't factor in key elements like compression ratios, cylinder head design, and camshaft specifications. To calculate taxable horsepower multiply the cylinder bore x cylinder bore x number of cylinders x 0.4, and don't forget to pay the tax!
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:41   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

actually taxable hp means the power it takes to drive the power steer pump, AC compressor, alternator, water pump etc... so with everything going flat chat (ac on, psteer on full lock, as much load on the alternator as possible etc) on a 185kw motor at full revs you only have 134kw to play with at the flywheel.

obviously the above situation would never occur so you dont have to worry about this loss, you only loose a bit here and there as you drive

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:13   #9 (permalink)

WRONG Rollin, it is an old,old British calculation, you will find a low comp 200 six has the same taxable hp as a 351
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:15   #10 (permalink)
WHAT ARE U LOOKIN AT RAT!

so does this mean, if u have the stereo pumping while trying to do a burnout or race someone, it will lose hp because of the alternator??????? or is the alternator fully charged when driving anwyay?? i have no idea
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline