Throw out bearing. HELP!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 22:28   #1 (permalink)

frown Throw out bearing. HELP!!!!!!

I have got my clutch adjusted so that there is only enough travel to just get it into gear, however, the throw out bearing is still spinning when the clutch is fully released???? Is this normal?? The clutch comes no where near slipping or anything.
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 00:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Throw out bearing. HELP!!!!!!

What I am trying to say, is the throwout bearing supposed to be always in contact with the diaphram springs???? Also, I had a look at the clutch pedal and found that there is actually a light spring pulling the clutch pedal toward the floor. This would almost mean that the bearing is supposed to touch the diaphram springs all the time??
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Old 05-22-2004, 09:31   #3 (permalink)

Grant,

The throwout bearing and clutch setup is designed to keep the bearing in light contact with the fingers. Clutch pedal travel is determined by adjusting so the pedal is like 14cm or so from the floor. This lets you have enough throwout on the fingers to disengage correctly, but not too much, and also leaving no freeplay between the bearing and the fingers.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 17:07   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for that!
My throw out bearing has had it, and I thought it must have been because it was in contact with the fingers all the time. Obviously just wear and tear and k's
Old 05-23-2004, 01:55   #5 (permalink)

check the spring on the clutch diafram
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

how do u adjust ur clutch pedal so its even wit the rest of the pedals but not stop the clutch from releasing properly
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:43   #7 (permalink)

blueoval,

If you adjust to the 14cm travel, then it should be pretty close to the height of the brake pedal anyhow.

Old 05-23-2004, 14:50   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskyboi
blueoval,

If you adjust to the 14cm travel, then it should be pretty close to the height of the brake pedal anyhow.
And say goodbye to your PP, pedal box, etc. Ignore the 140mm thing and adjust it so it engages about 1-1.5" off the floor.
Old 05-23-2004, 20:08   #9 (permalink)

wbt56,

How come? Thats the specs from ford info and from gregories? Is it too much for the PP?

Old 05-23-2004, 20:13   #10 (permalink)
NON TURBO XF....

my pedal is sitting up alot higher than the brake atm, to adjust it down do i just unwind the nut in the engine bay thats up against the firewall? i did this and it seemed that the clutch didn't want to engage enough to let me put it in gear....it is a brand new clutch too.....little help?

-> 1987 XF Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 4.1 EFI, T5, LPG, Clive Cam, Megatork Valve Springs, Crow Pushrods, Crow Timing Gears, Pacemaker Headers, Hi Flow Cat, Mandrel Bent Exhaust, ESA Straight Through Muffler, Grey Velour Interior, Full Electrics, Trip Computer, MOMO Race Wheel, King Spring Super Lows, Monroe GT Gas Shocks, Nolathane Bushes, EL XR8 Rear Axle w/ 3.45 LSD, Snowflakes
BLO GMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline