Tickmod 1 - thermo fans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2003, 00:54   #1 (permalink)

Tickmod 1 - thermo fans

I recently did away with the clutch fan and fitted thermo fans out of an EF into my EA. This is a really good mod as the temp can be adjusted and you can get the full economy out of your car. All you need is a set of thermos, which I inherited for 100 bucks. On the radiator there is one mount that will fit the thermo, and on the other side you can put a cable tie for an oil cooler and clamp it in place. The bottom bracket is on the radiator so the fans sit flush. I ran a relay for each fan and fitted an adjustable temperature switch. A diode and a wire from the A/C compressor will be required and can be hooked into the main feed to the relays or if you prefer one fan just one relay. The diode stops the clutch kicking out when the fans activate. An 85 amp alternator is definitely recommended as these fans draw a fair bit of current on startup. I gained a few extra horse in engine power and found that the car ran really well. Too bad she got written off two weeks ago, the fans ended up in the dash...lol.
tickfordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2003, 01:56   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Hey how are ya... sorry to hear about the car.

Just a few questions (I have been asking this quite a bit, just to get a general opinion).

With the thermo fans, was there a risk of the car over heating?

Did the fans run while the car was cruising on the freeway on a HOT day? If not, what temp did the car run at?

Was the general running temp lower then when you had the clutch fan?

Thanks

Take care
Old 02-23-2003, 02:08   #3 (permalink)

The running temp of the car was great. to adjust it you go for a good squirt on the road, come home and let it idle for half a minute, if the fans come on in half a minute thats ideal. I didn't experience the car overheating at all. I have an S Pack dash so the needle never went over a third on the temp guage. On the highway the fans very rarely ran, only on a stinking hot day in the high 30's.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Generaly the fans shouldn't realy have to be on while crusing as the speed of the car is more than enough ..Thats with a temp switch. If it gets hot then it ain't the fans thats causing over heating esp at speed {I guess} over 60 klms..Thats the idea of them, they only come on when needed , Or when air con is switched on...I have to say they usually run cooler or not as hot with elect fans..imo..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 05:03   #5 (permalink)
TOC TAS Secretary

i have done this conversion using one of ebgtedxr8's kits. and it works spot on. i have to say it runs cooler since i have done it. i only have the fans come on if im driving round town in traffic(ie when the is no airflow) or when the a/c is on.

best conversion i have ever done

"Pressing your F1 key will not put you on the RACE TRACK"
EDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 05:23   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

bass Crazy just do it dammit!!!!

i even put all that time and effort into the last thread on the subject, giving a step by step rundown of the way to go about it, and yet you have not succumb to the wonderous cool and quiet that is a thermofan conversion?!?!?!?

just do it dammit!!!!!

5/1 odds your car will run cooler with a 87 deg thermostat and thermos!!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 15:00   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

hahaha.... I know Rollin, thanks for the info by the way
The thing is I want the cooling system figured out before I do it.
The other day I was giving the car a hard time (26deg day) and I managed to get her up to 3/4 on the temp gauge..... which I was not happy about.

I have a few things I want to dry before I do the conversion, mainly involving air direction across the front of the car.

I have also noticed that some sections of the air conditioner radiator are bent, restricting air flow, so this might be another factor.

Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 02-23-2003, 15:04   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Has anyone tried this on an XF?
Is it very hard to do. My current fan is so noisy, i hate it.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 15:20   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

This is exactly the same as how I've wired my thermos up...

Quote:
bass Crazy just do it dammit!!!!
I agree...
Bassy, i can understand why you're apprehensive (sp?)... i was too, at first (just ask jbolger who patiently put up with all my worries and questions!).
But now, after doing it, it works SO well... one of the best things i've done!

The only concern I have now is what happens if the thermoswitch fails... i can turn the air con on, so that acts as a failsafe switch until i can stop the car... but what if i don't notice they haven't kicked in??? I've thought of getting an NC thermoswitch, but nobody seems to have one. Any ideas anyone???

Oh, and to answer your questions:
- they don't come on on the highway/freeway (anywhere above about 75-80km/h
- You can adjust them, so that you can make you're car run cooler or hotter, depending on your mood. my car used to get to about 3/4 (temp guage) when i thrashed her, but now she doesn't get above 1/3.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 15:57   #10 (permalink)

ok, i ran a seperate relay for each fan and also a circuit breaker so that if one of the fans drops out, at least one will still go. The thermo switch is a hard one to work out if it fails, only by looking at the temp guage, however, what happens if a normal stock switch fails? what do you do then? same as you would now. The A/C idea is what I have done to my car, turn the compressor on, the fans operate. Hook the compressor wire to the power of the relay that switches the fans, not the fans themselves. They draw too much current. Now, in earlier threads, if your car runs hot with the thermos, change the thermostat and get your radiator cleaned out, the clutch fan sucks in every bit of shit it can, so get it cleaned internally and externally. Then you will have no probs.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline