Toploader issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 12:37   #1 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Toploader issues

I have a minor problem with my toploader when cold, I seem to be able to pick up reverse whilst going for 2nd. When the car has warmed up, it shifts very well, and is nice and notchy.

The gearbox is a little noisey, and I plan on rebuilding it in 12 -18 months, with new linkages, clutch and a new shifter (Currently has an XY shifter, which is too short for the mustang).

My thoughts are that the oil is possibly too thick (I haven't changed it since I bought the car), and that it needs a change. What oil/additives would you suggest? Any other recommendations?
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 02:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Toploader issues

Definitely wouldn't hurt to drain and refill the gear oil - you haven't changed the oil and the previous owner probably hasn't either............for years!!

Just another note.....

When you move your shifter across to reverse from the middle position between 1st & 2nd, does it feel like it moves thru a restrictive type notch? There is a spring type catch you have to "push" the shifter thru - it avoids you accidently catching reverse when you move the stick back from 1st to 2nd. If it's broken, there's potential to accidently move across & snag reverse......grrrrrrind

There's also a shifter centering spring that holds the shifter firmly inbetween 3rd & 4th when in the neutral position. ie: if you held the shifter in neutral between 1st & 2nd it should spring back to between 3rd & 4th. These tend to break over the years and can make shifting sloppy.

Cheers

You can buy a shifter rebuild kit with all the bits in it
Old 03-03-2004, 03:12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that TrueBlu351 - sounds like I'm missing a couple of springs - there is no restrictive type notch, and there is no definate neutral...

I might start looking for a proper length shifter and spend the $$ on that.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:14   #4 (permalink)

Yep, I used to have an old '67 Mustang! 289, toploader & 9 inch. It had faded red paint and she was called the "Rustang!"

The front ends on those are way long - the motor and gearbox sit way forward. I can only imagine the "reach" required each time you want to shift with a stock falcon shifter. Mine had a nice chrome Hurst shifter (just bolts on to the original shifter plate). It went up a few inches and then came back at almost ~45 deg and was quite long.........which is what you need in the old 'stangs.

If you can't find one, you could always weld up some stainless steel rod
Old 03-04-2004, 03:54   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Yep, I used to have an old '67 Mustang! 289, toploader & 9 inch. It had faded red paint and she was called the "Rustang!"

The front ends on those are way long - the motor and gearbox sit way forward. I can only imagine the "reach" required each time you want to shift with a stock falcon shifter. Mine had a nice chrome Hurst shifter (just bolts on to the original shifter plate). It went up a few inches and then came back at almost ~45 deg and was quite long.........which is what you need in the old 'stangs.

If you can't find one, you could always weld up some stainless steel rod
Do you have any pics or details of that Hurst shifter?? Sounds like the type of thing I need!

As for the reach - yeah, it is pretty long, but I stuck a long gear knob on it to make it a little easier.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21   #6 (permalink)

Here's a pic of the long Hurst handle which provides the extra reach. This one's for a different shifter mechanism but the long chrome handle is identical to the one I used. Works a treat!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33736

Cheers
Old 03-06-2004, 04:05   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for that! I'll be keeping my eye out for something similar...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline