Tranny cooler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 20:29   #1 (permalink)
Dreamer

Tranny cooler

gday people, i just bought myself a tranny cooler for my fairmont, and was wondering if anyone else has bought and fitted one?

it says to use tube cutters, i can get my hands on some, but if i can just use a hacksaw i'll do that (it advises not to tho)

oh, and has anyone ever taken off the ef front bumper, is it hard?
hope its not rivited on, better only be bolts for my sake
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2002, 21:18   #2 (permalink)

dunno about the bumper, but i would definitely not use a hack saw on the trannie lines. it is almost impossible to stop the crap from the saw getting into the lines and this could very easily destroy your trannie.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah, if you saw the lines make sure you clean all the filings up before you refit the pipes. Removing the front bumper is quite easy. There are two main plastic locks inside the wheel arch, then there are 4 (I think) main large bolts on the front, in the middle between the radiator and bumper. You can easily see them when you get in under the car. Then the whole thing slides forward. Make sure to undo the horn wires before pulling the bumper off because they are attached.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:09   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

South, where abouts did you get the tranny cooler, and for how much (if you dont mind me asking!) i'm worried about stuffing it up now, i've been really thrashing it (stalling it up at the lights, doing heaps of standstills, etc) and i've heard that the stocko cooler isnt much cop...
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:32   #5 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by discokin6
South, where abouts did you get the tranny cooler, and for how much (if you dont mind me asking!) i'm worried about stuffing it up now, i've been really thrashing it (stalling it up at the lights, doing heaps of standstills, etc) and i've heard that the stocko cooler isnt much cop...
chances are, youve allready started damaging your automatic.

I was like you, thrashing the hell out of my car. stock automatics just dont cut the mustard! save your self the costly repairs and treat it nice....

get a manual if you want to thrash..
Old 02-18-2002, 08:27   #6 (permalink)

Re: Tranny cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by South
gday people, i just bought myself a tranny cooler for my fairmont, and was wondering if anyone else has bought and fitted one?

it says to use tube cutters, i can get my hands on some, but if i can just use a hacksaw i'll do that (it advises not to tho)

oh, and has anyone ever taken off the ef front bumper, is it hard?
hope its not rivited on, better only be bolts for my sake
hey south where did you get one from and where are you going to fit it in the vehicle? How much did you pay and are these worth to invest in as i wanna do it to my other car (not the ford)!
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fairlane Boy

chances are, youve allready started damaging your automatic.

I was like you, thrashing the hell out of my car. stock automatics just dont cut the mustard! save your self the costly repairs and treat it nice....

get a manual if you want to thrash..
Its a new tranny, I picked the Falcon up with a siezed motor in it from the previous owner. He'd had the new tranny in there for like 2 months or so, its still under warranty. So yeah, I'm thinking of putting a shift kit through it, and i'd say a cooler is mandatory for whats gonna be a fairly warm crossflow.. Borg-Warner model 40s are strong enough for whats gonna be a fairly hot crossflow, its just the heat that kills them (thin metal components begin to warp once they start getting beyond operating spec temperatures, which is when they begin to die). So getting rid of aforementioned heat should become a priority. The stock cooling system isnt too flash.

South, what model Fairmont do you have?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:09   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Its a new tranny, I picked the Falcon up with a siezed motor in it from the previous owner. He'd had the new tranny in there for like 2 months or so, its still under warranty. So yeah, I'm thinking of putting a shift kit through it, and i'd say a cooler is mandatory for whats gonna be a fairly warm crossflow..
just say a car doesnt have a cooler, is it possible to buy kits which would fit without making major mods to the tranny?

thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 09:13   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

yeah, from my understanding of the tranny cooling kits, you bypass the radiator coolant lines to run a small aircooled system that sits in front of the ac condenser and the radiator.. Like you cut them off from the radiator, and screw down what looks like fuel line to the bits you cut it off from...
Old 02-18-2002, 09:17   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, from my understanding of the tranny cooling kits, you bypass the radiator coolant lines to run a small aircooled system that sits in front of the ac condenser and the radiator.. Like you cut them off from the radiator, and screw down what looks like fuel line to the bits you cut it off from...
where can you get these kits from?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline