Tranny swap on AU Falcon ... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 07:05   #1 (permalink)

Tranny swap on AU Falcon ...

Ok here is the deal ...

I wanna swap a Au Falcon auto tranny with a toploader ... (reason: need a manual and something strong for cheap :D)

Now my question is, where does teh falcon read speeds etc from and would that affect the readings for the dash etc and what do i have to do etc to get around that?

2nd question is, i got cruise controle with it, however i am not quite certain where the CC is reading it speeds of ... if its reading from the dash input, i just need to get the above problem right, however if its connected to the tranny next problem there.

3rd and last is, I am running an XR6 non VCT ECU ATM, which controles the operation of the transmission as well (7 stage Tickford program - not the 2 stage Ford program!), would i have to switch off the transmission controle system off so the ECU wont shit itself, and if so what would the best way be: reflash the ECU with the manual program or controle it through a chip (note: i will be getting a custom chiptorque one fairly soon ... whenever it decides to work).

Cheers
Mic

I hope this sorta makes some sense to yas
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 07:08   #2 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Re: Tranny swap on AU Falcon ...

As far as speed goes, pretty sure the AU reads from the Front axle.
Old 07-14-2003, 14:38   #3 (permalink)

AU speed sensor is in the gearbox. You will have huge problems with shifter location.
Old 07-14-2003, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

You should be able to get an electronic speed sensor to fit in the cable drive hole in the box. Possibly even you old one, although I don't know how accurate it would be due to the gears probably being different. The CC reads off this, so is not a drama.
Finally, to fool the computer into thinking the box is in neutral, get a 6.5 to 7.2 kOhm resistro. Run it between pin 91 and 64 (power for p/s, TPS, etc., and the return line from the shift selector). Just check those pin numbers with Ford though, as I lost the bit of paper :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 18:14   #5 (permalink)

as for the shifter: i am getting a renegade shifter, and as for that matter i dont see too much of a problem there, however if worse comes to worse the center console will go ... :D

As for the speed sensor, i was hoping that will be the matter, it should be fairly accurate, as the gears on bother boxes are very very similar (from memory) if not identical, even if not i should be able to adjust em through teh dash.

As for the ECU ... throwing a resistor into that place sounds kinda dodgy to me ... wouldnt it be just easier to get the manual program so the ecu has nothing to do with the transmission any more?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:46   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't be worried about the centre console. The stick will come through the floor about the CD player.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:09   #7 (permalink)

DOH! that short hey? mhm gotta work out some sort of an extension ...
Old 07-15-2003, 07:46   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Well if you want to shell out for an AU manual computer, I imagine you will have to buy new - not even going to THINK about what that'll cost! :)
AU manuals = rare as hen's teeth and you will be very lucky to find one wrecked.

The reason I said about the resistor - I just did it. Am having no trouble whatsoever with it on my EB manual. As long as you do the job properly (solder and sparky's tape) I can't see that it's dodgy...

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:23   #9 (permalink)

lol ... all EEC Vs live in the same shell ... all i need to do is reflash it to the proggy i need ... thats how i upgraded my STD Ford EEC V to the Tickford spec one ... all i need to do is reflash it to the EEC V Tickford manual spec ... should do i rekon
Old 07-15-2003, 15:46   #10 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

XR9Ute might be a good person to talk to about flashing EEC systems.

I would certainly be interested in more information / the possibility of this method - since swapping the computers in the EL ( manual transmission should be in before the end of the year ), is something I would prefer to avoid ( the hassle in finding a manual computer that is ).

If nothing else, pls let me know how it goes Chief . . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline