trans drain plug? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 05:34   #1 (permalink)

trans drain plug?

Hi,

I just did a search on the forum to see where my drain bolt is on my C4. But as far as I can work out, and please correct me if I am wrong:

A C4 has a drain bolt.
A C9 does NOT have a drain bolt.
A C10, I'm not sure but apparently has less splines than a C4/C9. I didn't check how many splines mine has but I can if someone tells me how many I should look for.

I did manage to overfill my Auto, so much so that I actually kept pouring in the amount written in the manual and only stopped when I heard it pouring out of the breather onto the floor.

It drives great, but I have read somewhere that too much fluid is just as bad as not enough. I haven't had it on level ground and running in park, as it is 10.30 and my single 3inch exhaust would annoy the neighbours.

Any advice would be great,
Cheers,
Ray
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 16:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: trans drain plug?

too much fluid will most likely cause excess pressure that the breather can't handle so it'll blow that pressure out of the easiest place, usually the rear seal. if u wanna drain some fluid just undo the filler at the trans pan and u should get some coming out.
as for the different trannies as far as i know theres only 3 autos that came out in falcons c4, c10 and fmx. c4 and c10 are identical transmissions howeva the c10 has a bigger input shaft, it's nicknamed a c10 when really it's only a c4 that can take more torque. this is wat i was told by a trans rebuilder any1 feel free to tell me im wrong. but to my knowledge this is how it is.
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 17:21   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

C series box's have no drain plug. As zigg's said remove the filler tube to drain.

Drain plugs can be evil. My high volume trans pan sits so low the drain plug got ripped out when going onto a hoist.
Old 06-14-2005, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggs
too much fluid will most likely cause excess pressure that the breather can't handle so it'll blow that pressure out of the easiest place, usually the rear seal. if u wanna drain some fluid just undo the filler at the trans pan and u should get some coming out.
as for the different trannies as far as i know theres only 3 autos that came out in falcons c4, c10 and fmx. c4 and c10 are identical transmissions howeva the c10 has a bigger input shaft, it's nicknamed a c10 when really it's only a c4 that can take more torque. this is wat i was told by a trans rebuilder any1 feel free to tell me im wrong. but to my knowledge this is how it is.
The C4 and C10 are two all together differante box's. Yes the C10 does have a bigger input shaft as well as larger band and clutchs, has bigger servo pressuer rating and the front pump is not held on with the bell housing were as the C4's is. Also the C4's dip stick goes through the case and the C10 goes into the pan. I wish people would look at what they have in there cars.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
The C4 and C10 are two all together differante box's. Yes the C10 does have a bigger input shaft as well as larger band and clutchs, has bigger servo pressuer rating and the front pump is not held on with the bell housing were as the C4's is. Also the C4's dip stick goes through the case and the C10 goes into the pan. I wish people would look at what they have in there cars.
C4/C9/C10 It is all quite funny really. No one has yet been able to produce a Ford publication that calls any of it's boxes C9 or C10. Ford does however, acknowledge three versions of the C4.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 00:22   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
C4/C9/C10 It is all quite funny really. No one has yet been able to produce a Ford publication that calls any of it's boxes C9 or C10. Ford does however, acknowledge three versions of the C4.
u hit the nail on the head wif that, thats y i said they were nicknamed, so judging by wat we've all said theres 2 types of autos, c4 and fmx however depending wat ur c4 was behind u could possibly have any 1 of 3 versions of the c4, being c4, c9, and c10, lol
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggs
u hit the nail on the head wif that, thats y i said they were nicknamed, so judging by wat we've all said theres 2 types of autos, c4 and fmx however depending wat ur c4 was behind u could possibly have any 1 of 3 versions of the c4, being c4, c9, and c10, lol
I just like to "stir the pot" with regards to C4s....
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:47   #8 (permalink)

I think its absolutely stupid not to have a drain plug on them. I fitted an aftermarket pan with drain plug on my old car.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:17   #9 (permalink)

I suppose the other option which doesn't require me crawling around under my car, would be to disconnect my trans cooler (near the radiator) and drain the fluid out of that. That would be if I only needed to lower my levels by a tiny little bit!
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:30   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

It's the easiest way but only empty 600mls (600ml coke bottle) at a time. Don't take your time or rev it as it pumps fluid out quite fast.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline