Trans Flush vs Drop Pan/Filter Method?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 18:53   #1 (permalink)

Trans Flush vs Drop Pan/Filter Method??

I have a 03 F150 4.6 2WD ... a little over 29K on it. Which route should I go .. a Trans Flush and don't touch the pan at this time or just go "old school" and drop the pan / change filter / refill 5 qts or so ??

The truck has not done any hard towing / racing /etc. The fluid seems ok, but I guess Ford recommends a 30K service. I called the dealer where I bought the truck .... said they don't have the flush machine yet, but still will do the pan option. Although, he was not against doing a flush. They just don't have a machine to do it. Plus, on a 03 the torque converter does not have a drain plug any longer.

I went to another Ford dealer today and they push the flush for $139. That is the only thing they do. Told me Ford recommends this and the pan should not be removed. They warranty it ( I guess the flush process from any damage incurred by this process) ... plus they said (who knows if this is true) that it will benefit my extended warranty by having this done. I have the 6yr/75000 mile extended warranty and by following this type of trans service, if I ever have trans issues the extended warranty should never be questioned because I followed the Ford recommended service.

Just for the heck of it ... I called two trans shops in town and they both said just drop pan/filter/refill. One for $85 & one for $110.

Now if that doesn't make things more confusing. I agree with the drop pan method because that is what I have always done in the past and have always had good trans life with doing that at regular intervals.

I am really confused .... seems you can find a different opinion at every turn!! I guess I'm not "sold" on this flush process, but then again I am not that familiar with it. I would greatly appreciate your advice!! Thank You.
mabrant61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 08:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Trans Flush vs Drop Pan/Filter Method??

Drop the pan and change the filter--who wants new fluid with a clogged filter-if you don't have, install a good trans cooler while you're at it--it'll live a long time--bob
bobr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50   #3 (permalink)

I did find this .....

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

Other advice I have also received was Flush at 30K and Pan/Filter/Flush at 60K
Old 04-14-2007, 05:32   #4 (permalink)

I'm just debating something ... should I have the Flush done by the Ford dealer only and my concern here is .... more for warranty concerns (I have the Ford extended warranty on my truck). Or can I have my independant guy do it? I trust him ... he is very good and I know he knows how to do this. I trust him more than my local dealership to do better work!! LOL But I'm wondering if I ever had a trans issue down the road if it makes a difference where you get the flush done. Or do you think as long as you have a record of having the trans serviced ... it really doesn't matter??

And I would NEVER go to oner of these fast change places.

Thank you for your input ... I really appreciate it!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28   #5 (permalink)

IMHO ... all Ford (or any make for that fact) dealers should be directed by the manufacture to standardize the process so that all dealers do the same thing. No gimmicks ... no marketing hype .... just perform the maintainence required to maitain the vehicle appropriately!!! Then there is no confusion.

Just FYI: I have decided to take my truck to the dealer where I bought it and they are going to drop the pan ... inspect/install a new filter & refill. I guess the gasket is reuseable if its in good condition. Funny thing ... this dealer doesn't even have a flush machine and they haven't been directed by Ford to get one.

Thanks for all the input !!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45   #6 (permalink)

It just really comes down to choice!! The best way is doing both ... drop pan / change filter / full fluid exchange

My choice: Have the dealer do the pan / inspect / install new filter at 30K. The most waer will come in the first 30K anyway. At 60K ... I will just do a fluid exchange.

So I really don't see a need to come back with a snide comment ... "well good for the dealer" type of thing. Do a little research .... no need to be rude!!

Transmission Flush vs. Drop Pan/Filter change method??

[quote author=dealer1 link=topic=2188.msg12613#msg12613 date=1176676019]
I have been doing transmissions for over 30 years and I would definitely recommend pulling pan and doing it right.Why would anyone change fluid without filter?
[/quote]

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

The 4R70W transmission system holds about 14 quarts of ATF. � The 4R70W uses MERCON V, and the MERCON V can be used on older 4R70W transmissions that were factory filled with MERCON.

I replace the transmission filter every other fluid change. Note that Ford does not recommend ever changing the filter. I've opened filters with over 300,000 miles that were not even close to being clogged. �
Don't buy a new pan gasket. The original is reusable.
A 10 foot length of clear tubing and one hose clamp, sized to fit over your cooler hose. There have been different size cooler lines over the years, so check before buying!
If you don't already have a special funnel that fits into the transmission dipstick tube, then you will need one of those, too.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08   #7 (permalink)

Re: Sand1

Hey Mr. Sand1,

If you took the time to look up what Ford actually calls for ... the filter service is at 150,000 miles. I for one would never wait that long.

Been doing this for 35 years huh .... hmmmm ... funny .... seems like you still have a lot to learn!!
Old 02-12-2008, 21:51   #8 (permalink)

Re: SAND1

I'm a PhD Chemist from South Lousiana and I have to say that this guy SAND1 is one RUDE, INCONSIDERATE, DISRESPECTFUL, TASTELESS, LOUDMOUTHED, KNOW-IT ALL with a TERRIBLE ATTITUDE and NO RESPECT for the other forum members looking for real information... Any time someone with his attitude says "I've been doing this for 35 years" then you'd better take your car and get out of there. These kind of know-it-alls are still living in the past and doing things just like they did 35 years ago...

People with attitudes like his and as rude and inconsiderate as him should be banned from the forum. I would NEVER take ANY advice from someone like that and certainly never allow him to touch my cars...

That guy's mother should be ashamed at the way he acts on this forum, and I'll NEVER read another of his posts.

The Chemist
fluiddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 15:05   #9 (permalink)

Well said Fluid Doctor , transmissions are totally different in the modern day car/truck , lock up converters 4 and 5 speed autos are becoming common place , trouble is that the new trans creates was is called ash/trash from locking and un-locking of the converter and also the smoth shifts (slight slipping/sliding into the gears for the smooth shifts) and this dis-colours the oil and leaves a residue, hence trans flush machines were invented to do a total flush on the system including the converter as the car is running while this prosess takes place . the new trans don't have band adjustments and the filters are totally different , this is why they claim 200 tho + miles before change , personally l'd change them sooner .
The dropping of the pan , changing the filter and adjusting the bands + putting 3 or 4 quarts of oil back in days are long gone , to do it properly a trans flush (total) and filter every 60,000 (max) is the way to go .
Mr FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45   #10 (permalink)

You're right Mr. Ford,

In fact, my Grand Marquis was giving me the same problem with the shudder going into lockup mode. I was about to change the converter, but before I take on any of these jobs I always come to this forum where great info can be found. I ended up disconnecting the cooling lines, adding a 5' extention to the cooler input line, and a submersable pump to the suction cooling line. Poured 16 quarts into a CLEAN 5 gallon bucket (16 because I wanted to overdisplace the fluid to make sure I had good clean fluid coming out). I chocked the wheels, started the car and put it in drive 1, then turned the submersable pump on. It worked PERFECT, pumping the clean fluid in and the dirty fluid out. When I had clean fluid coming out I shut it down, reconnected the hoses, and test drove the car. It pulled great and the shudder was gone. When I got it back home the level was low, so I added a quart of K&W Trans-X (an old product that my father used to swear by), and topped it the rest of the way off with Mercon V. I had changed the fluid and filter about 20,000 miles ago so I wasn't worried about the filter being clogged, but this method (dropping the pan) replaced only about 6 quarts of fluid. THe flushing method I used replaced ALL of the fluid...

If it weren't for this site I'd still be under the car changing the torque converter out right now...

Great info here...

Have a great day and weekend!!

Louis "The Chemist"
fluiddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline