Ford Forums banner

Trans. problems?!?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Fords R Tuff 
#1 ·
Hey, i've got a 2000 3.8L mustang, and i was just wondering if anyone else that has that model or 01 is having transmission problems also. alot of people i know from here (where i live are) and i was just wondering if we were the only ones. My transmission has went out once and it has been showing the signs of doing it again i.e. missing gears (it's an automatic) speedometer loosing trakc of speed, hard shifting, ect. just wondering thanks!

G
#2 ·
Hi....just bought a 2001, three months ago. It's a V6 Coupe(auto), that only had 11,000 Km. Might as well be brand new. I parked behind the garage one day and shifted the thing down to 2nd gear. The thing shuddered/chattered when it shifted. I tried several times again and the same thing. Since the vehicle was under warranty I took it back and to my surprise I ended up with a rebuilt transmission. Now I have a leaking passenger window that has been sent in under the warranty work three times. It leaks when I take it through a pressurized touchless car wash. Still not fixed!

#3 ·
I don't have a 2000 or 2001, but I did have problems on my 5.0 95 gt with a AOD transmission. Since the rebuild (about a yr ago) it seems to be doing ok although at low speeds it kinda spudders I guess is the only way to describe it, it's not the engine it's definitely the tranny, like it hesitates to go into gear. I've heard others (including transmission shops) say that the Ford automatic transmissions are junk, but not sure about your year, I've asked around for my year Mustang and I heard that not just Mustang but, Bronco and CrownVictoria and others who use simmilar tansmission tend to break down at about 60-70K. I haven't been able to confirm that with other owners though. Good luck.

95gt conv

#4 ·
Ford transmission's tend to break down due to the fact that they now use lower line pressure's to soften the shift's. The worthless Mercon based fluid that was first used tended to break down. And most people never service their transmission's properly. The best thing that can be done is when you do service your transmission, use a performance filter, and Type F fluid in pre 93 auto's, Mercon5 fluid's in 93 and up. Change the fluid every 25,000 mile's, and have transmission flushed every 50,000 mile's

#5 ·
Contact

Greg Whitaker at All Trans at Currumbim on the Gold Coast as he would be the most experienced person in trans.

07 5525-7770

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.