Trans Questions (EF XR8) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2003, 02:14   #1 (permalink)

Trans Questions (EF XR8)

G'day,

I have some general gearbox questions (I have a stock EF XR8):

1. Is it ok to slow down by manually selecting third gear? ie will it wear my gearbox out over time? I hope not since I like doing it! I've asked a few people and the general consensus seems to be YES, but not based any real scientific-like evidence. Y'know, just the vibe of the thing :)
I saw the same question in this thread, but it has the same lack of conrete evidence.
Can anyone give me some concrete?
I figured it'd be ok since most of the time the box is going to change back to third once I start to accelerate again anyway. Of course, I know 100% of jack shit about automatic transmissions!

2. When cruising at 110k's, the engine does about 2300rpm. Is that right? I would have expected a v8 to rev lower, since my old XH ute did around the same and it was a six. I'm guessing 2300 is right, but I'm just curious as to why exactly.

Any info/opinions on either or both of these would be sweet.

Cheers,
Tristan
JustABloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2003, 16:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Trans Questions (EF XR8)

Just leave it in 3 around town and D when highway cruising. The gear position sensor is in the neutral saftey switch, this unit is made of plastic and tin, I don't think the design is robust enough for "manual" shifting (for any extended period, anyway).

My NF V8 does about 1700 rpm at 100k's, 2300 at 110 sounds a tad high.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 10-12-2003 at 16:14.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 17:30   #3 (permalink)

i think 2300rpm is about right, its auto, and its the 3.45 diff.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 21:59   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
i think 2300rpm is about right, its auto, and its the 3.45 diff.
Ayup, I think mine ( el xr8 ) sits not too far from there.

The gear position sensor will probably barf eventually ( mine did after 120,000), but its not a huge hassle to replace - about $90, and 15 mins under the car ( one connector and a screw or two ).

As for box damage, i dunno :) I suspect it ain't good for it, but how bad it is I'm not sure either... Nothing concrete tho :)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 22:29   #5 (permalink)

Might want to check if your torque converter is locking on. If you work out, 2300rpm on a 3.45 would be 2153rpm on a 3.23, TopGhia says he gets 1700 ... hope that gives you some idea. So yeh, I'd say 2300 rpm is a bit high. An easy test, on a flat road with little wind, try accelerate gently to eighty, the tacho should hold up about 2 grand whilst accelerating, then when you ease off to cruise at 80, the revs should drop down a fair bit as the torque converter locks on. If they stay high, might want to check out the torque conv system?

good luck!

jasonk
jason_k_3431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:38   #6 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I don't know what evidence you are looking for, but you can rest assured dropping a gear while slowing down will wear out the box quicker.
Reasons:
1. the transmission was never designed to do it, it will not have any form of beefed up clutches/bands to deal with the load from the factory, so the torque your putting on the stock components will wear them much faster.

2. Heat. The increase in friction through the transmission will no doubt be heating your oil beyond the normal working temp of the box, especially in traffic. Without an aftermarket cooler added on it'll cook itself soon enough.

Why would you want to use a $3000 auto to slow the car when its got a braking system more than capable of pulling the car up? Brake pads only cost $100 to replace.

As far as your RPM goes it sounds about right to me if you have a 3.45:1 diff, no matter how many cylinders an engine has, the RPM's stay the same.
Old 12-29-2003, 15:19   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Why would you want to use a $3000 auto to slow the car when its got a braking system more than capable of pulling the car up? Brake pads only cost $100 to replace.

I've been trying to tell 'em that for ages. Glad someone agrees with me.

cheers
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline