Trans swap Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15   #1 (permalink)

Trans swap Help

Hi Guys, I'm new to this Forum but from what I see you guys can help. I have a 1969 Ford fairlane that has a 302 C4 combo. I am Installing a 1971 351 C 2V engine in the car. My question is, I would like to keep the C4 transmission in the car now, will this work, do I need to change the flywheel, bell housing, or what do I need to do the swap. The flywheel on the 351 is not the same as the 302, will they Interchange? I also need a new converter.

My C4 is a 24 spline
The Flex plate on the 351 is a 11 1/2 bolt with 164 tooth. The trans that was with the 351 was a FMX.

Thanks in advance Mike
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 07:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Trans swap Help

G'day,
you have hit the nail on the head... 11 1/2 bolt pattern. You state you need a new converter, simply buy one with that bolt pattern.
The bell housing and everything else will work except starter.
Your current configuration is probably running 157 tooth flywheel., you may need to run the starter off the FMX, given fords high use of standard parts you won't have too many problems.

Personally, i'd run the FMX....but anyway.

If in doubt, and your in australia, talk to Geoff Dellow. http://www.dellowautomotive.com.au He is a wealth of information and knows EXACTLY what he is talking about....i have learn't so much off him!

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline