Ford Forums banner

transducers c4/BW

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  raytriplej 
#1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if the transducer from a c4 (v8) will work properly with the standard 6 cyl dash. I converted my six to an eight and now my speedo doesn't work. Yes I have connected the transducer.

If the C4 transducer isn't compaible with my six cyl dash will my old transducer (in my 6cyl BW tranny) fit into my c4 housing?

Thanks
Ray

#4 ·
Hi,
I changed the transducer and the cog and the speedo worked ok while the car was up on stands. Then put it down on the ground to go for a drive and it doesn't work again!
Raised the car again, removed and reinstalled the transducer, no go. I think my c4 is eating transducers!!! Any other ideas?
Ray

#5 ·
raytriplej said:
Hi,
I changed the transducer and the cog and the speedo worked ok while the car was up on stands. Then put it down on the ground to go for a drive and it doesn't work again!
Raised the car again, removed and reinstalled the transducer, no go. I think my c4 is eating transducers!!! Any other ideas?
Ray
Your C4 can't eat it, but maybe the nylon cog. The "transducer" is all the same, and very cheap from Ford. I had leaks for years, and finally found out it was that. Brand new they were only $30 i think. Ask for Mal at Trinity ford.
I think your dash has stopped working. There is small plastic cogs in the dash that strip when old. It would only take a few minutes to bolt in another electronic dash part to test. Very easy in XD's.

#6 ·
Thanks Dion,

I went to the wreckers at Edmonton and bought another second-hand transducer today for $25 ( a new one cost me $50ish at walshes a few months ago). I bolted it in today and the speedo kinda goes for a bit and then stops and then goes and then stops. At least it moved more than the last transducer. Do they play up if they aren't used for a while? The nylon cog on the end looks ok, and I checked the worm gear inside the box was turning.

What part are you talking about in the dash? My dash speedo was working fine when I pulled it off the road about a year ago. I was thinking about buying a new transducer but if you can tell me which bit of the dash can strip, I'll check it first.

To tell you the truth I am not using the car nearly as much as I thought I would. I am seriously thinking about either selling it or swapping it for a hilux, etc... But I would like to cruise around for a few months or so before parting with it though, as it has cost me a lot of time and money, and I would like to enjoy it!

But as it's running ok, I don't think I'll have too much trouble selling it in the future.

Cheers,
Ray

#7 ·
raytriplej said:
What part are you talking about in the dash? My dash speedo was working fine when I pulled it off the road about a year ago. I was thinking about buying a new transducer but if you can tell me which bit of the dash can strip, I'll check it first.

Cheers,
Ray
I havn'y played in the dash before, but have been told from guys that do. On one dash i had, the speedo worked, but not odemeter. Another one neither worked. Ring Cairns Instruments and ask if it is fixable. They are real easy to remove from the car, so may be easy to sort.
U cant sell the XD. You will need it to do lappies to put your young tacker to sleep :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.