transmission calibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 10:40   #1 (permalink)

transmission calibration

Hey all, in a previous thread of mine, there has been suggestions that a slighty jerky acceleration might be caused by my tranny not been reset after a had my coil replaced?

My symptoms are very slight jerkyness during 4th gear acceleration, but it doesnt do it when i put it in power mode, acceleration is smooth as can be.

ive tried this procedure:

To clear and reset throttle calibration with ignition on engine off go through the following sequence:
Manual 1
Switch to economy
Manual 2
Switch to performance
Manual 3
Switch to economy

didnt seem to work, also i think this procedure is for pre EF falcons right?

my car is a I6 EL Futura

so can anyone help me out? thanks.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 13:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: transmission calibration

One thing to note is that the torque converter is always locked in 4th gear Economy mode.

This may mean something or it may not :)
Old 09-07-2003, 21:36   #3 (permalink)

which means?

why doesnt it do it in power mode?
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:11   #4 (permalink)

That's just the design of it. In Econ, the 3 to 4 shift on light throttle occurs around 70kph, and the converter is locked all the time in 4th.

In Power mode, the 3 to 4 shift on a light throttle occurs at around 60 kph and the converter will lock up at around 88 kph.

This only applies to the I6. The V8 and I6HO do not have an automatic 4th gear Econ mode lock up.

So I was thinking with the shudder or whatever that occurs only in Econ could be something to do with the torque converter.

Being auto transmission challenged that's about as far as I can go.

There may be wiser ones lurking in the background.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 09-08-2003 at 01:35.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:32   #5 (permalink)

Tranny

An EF Falcon shouldn't need the throttle position sensor reset, they work on a different system to pre EF's, the EF only has one throttle position sensor and it goes straight to the engine management computer, if there was any problems with this your car would be in limp mode. when in 4th gear with the touque converter locked up your car will be at lower revs than in any other gear normally, so i would be more looking at spark or injectors, it might not be running properly on all cylinders, and seing that you just replaced the coil pack i would suggest checking all your plug leads, they don't like being move around a lot and are easily damaged. If you open your bonnet on a dark night and have a close look all over the plug leads, you should be able to notice if there is any spark jumping from the plug leads, you will see it flash and if so i would replace the lead's which do it, and then see how ya go. if not then check your Plugs. but i would be more thinking the leads would be the problem.

And spark problems can come at all different RPM and loads, i have seem cars miss at all diffent loads and rev's.

And if you ever change something and something else seems wrong than you should always go back and check what you changed first.

Although you have put a new coil on it, i would also check the coil out, i have purchased a stuffed coil before which would cause the car to miss under load, the minute i replaced it with another one the problem was fixed, but i would look at that last after all else fails as it is highly unlikely.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 00:41   #6 (permalink)
now with EF power!

Re: Re: transmission calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGhia
That's just the design of it. In Econ, the 3 to 4 shift on light throttle occurs around 70kph, and the converter is locked all the time in 4th.

In Power mode, the 3 to 4 shift on a light throttle occurs at around 60 kph and the converter will lock up at around 88 kph.
My auto changes to 4th pretty much from 50k onwards....is there something wrong with it?

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 17:27   #7 (permalink)

4th and 3rd gears

The auto's change into 4th gear at around 50km (next to no throttle)depending on what model car it is, the touque converter doesn't lock up until about 90-100km's an hour, you will fell it like a 5th gear change, the transmission has the ability to lock up the converter in 3rd and 4th gear, but under normal operation it only locks up in 4th gear at low throttle and highway speeds, the computer will only put the lock up on in third gear if the transmission is overheating.

It is not uncommen for the touque converters to play up, i had one that the lock up didn't work at all, and have also had one that had completely locked up.

But from the sounds of things, i would say yours is probably working fine.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:27   #8 (permalink)
now with EF power!

So my auto's normal then? Cause my mates EL falcon doesnt change to 4th untill 69kph.

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 00:25   #9 (permalink)

EA Turbo Clone Said : "the computer will only put the lock up on in third gear if the transmission is overheating."

My EL I6 locks in 3rd, unlocks for the 3-4 upshift and then locks again. Has always done it. AFAIK lockup in 3rd and 4th is supposed to be a feature.

Pat.
psproule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:32   #10 (permalink)

Yes by the sounds of things your auto is ok. They may have changed the lock up in EF onwards, but from my memory i don't remember any EF or EF i have ever driven locking up the converter in 3rd, but i was never looking for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline