Transmission Choices? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2003, 23:38   #1 (permalink)

Transmission Choices?

hey every1!
i own a ef xr6 auto, just wonderin how much roughly would it cost to convert to manual, how long would it take?
another option i am considering is the ba auto with SSS, i need a tougher box because im going to go dev 5 with jim mock, Cheers
SIXXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 06:25   #2 (permalink)
now with EF power!

Converting to a manual gearbox can cost anywhere from $600 - $1500, just for the box in some cases, then you'll need a pedal box and all that. Possibly a manual computer where yours doesnt have a separate trans computer. I think there is a way around it...mongrel EB knows more than me on the subject. It shouldnt take too long to do but i'd leave yourself a good weekend to do this.

So far you cant use the BA auto boxes in earlier falcons, but if your looking for a really strong auto then try a c4 or c6 auto, but if you do a bit of highway driving then you'll want a 4th gear...there is a box, its called the AOD and it can be built up to handle about 650bhp if built properly.

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:09   #3 (permalink)

Thanx Danege does any1 kno wether my stock auto (BTR 4spd) would hold up to over 150 rwkw? what is its limit? something i was considering was to beef up the internals like tickford did in the EL "predator" supercharged showcar. would this prove to be costly?!? how much of a difference would a 2500 or 3000 torque converter make to performance? 1 more thing guys... what is SSK (Switchable Shift Kit), ive noticed a few of the boys with it written on the mods of their cars, cheers SIXXR-6

**Mother of Blessed Acceleration, Commit Thy Spirit to the Rear Bags**
SIXXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:08   #4 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: Transmission Choices?

SIXXR-6

The BTR 4 speed, done right, can take around 250fwkw without too many issues.
You need to make sure it is running a big cooler,
Im running a 4sp behind my supercharged 6, and it has taken a hiding, and is still going ok.

As far as the shift kits, see my website - http://www.mechanicalforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4
Old 08-17-2003, 16:18   #5 (permalink)

when you say big cooler, would a factory cooler be enough?
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

If you've got mods - no
The bigger the better, go for a large alloy one, it will be worth it in the long run
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline