Transmission conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2002, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
XR805

Question Transmission conversion

Anyone ever swapped an auto trans for a manual in there car? How much does it cost and is it worth it or is it just a big hassle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2002, 18:12   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a lot of hassle in a late model car. I did an XY years ago and that wasn't too bad but a late model car is something else...
I'm not sure about Fords but I know that V6 Commies have a different crank between auto and manual, check this out before you start pulling things apart!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 18:41   #3 (permalink)

Falchoon

I must disagree with you on v6 commies and using different cranks depending on manual or auto gearboxs.

My brother in law was working at Holdens up to 12 months ago as one of their senior engineers, so I can talk about VT and VX builds. V6 engines were dilever to the factory from being assembled in Melbourne with all engines having auto gearbox attached to them.

When a manual order came down the line, they just unbolted the auto box on the side of the production line and bolted a manual box up and then dropped them into the car. You must remeber manuals accounts for less than 5 percent of v6 sales, so it doesn't make sense to design two different v6 engines cranks, cams etc.

Craig
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 18:52   #4 (permalink)

Question

Maybe it was the early VN-VPs then.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 18:55   #5 (permalink)

could well have been.

All I know give ford and holden another five years and they would like to phase manuals out as they represent such a low number of sales and slow down the line as they are another combination option to program.

Craig
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 19:04   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

Re: Transmission conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by XR805
Anyone ever swapped an auto trans for a manual in there car? How much does it cost and is it worth it or is it just a big hassle
Late model cars are costly you would need complete brake and clutch pedal assembley, tailshaft, manual gearbox ( bet you didn't think of that :s5 ), eec for a manual which I think is around the $800 mark, flywheel , spigot bush, clutch and all the bits to make it work.

I changed my XC from manual to auto and it costed me $950 thats included with a 250 engine, radiator and power steering.

Have I put you off?
Old 01-31-2002, 00:57   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I had my eb done $1400 changeover it was probabley one of the best mods i done to the car so much better to drive.

Its finding a good one thats the problem.
WINGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 04:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WINGED
I had my eb done $1400 changeover it was probabley one of the best mods i done to the car so much better to drive.

Its finding a good one thats the problem.
but i assumed you did this yourself?

i'm thinking about doing the same thing, but not myself. i was talking to mick (tickford club of nsw) at the last club meeting and he gave me a rough figure of about $3000 which sounds about right. i emailed Malwood Automotive (the guys that did a 6 speed XR8) but they never replied - so much for being professional!

i'd love to find out though! i absolutely hate automatics and the car's going to be out of warrantly later on this year, so it won't really matter if i get it converted.
Old 02-01-2002, 18:44   #9 (permalink)
XR9UTE

It's a piece-o-piss to change an auto to a manual or vice versa.

There are few extra things to do but it's no harder to do than an early car.

There is no silly stuff like different cranks with Fords either.
I know of a dickhead with a VP boat anchor and it's true you cannot swap gearboxes.....serves him right for buying the piece of shit!

Anyway, exactly which car are we talking about here?

pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline