Transmission Coolers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2002, 08:55   #1 (permalink)

Transmission Coolers

Hey all i saw some tranny coolers in a repco catalogue for like 150 bucks! I wanna get one are these hard to install? and is it worth it for 150 bucks? Or can i get a better deal somewhere else? Are they hard to install?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 10:09   #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up Trans Cooler

Hey snavy!
The Price sounds ok and anything you do to enhance Trans cooling will extend the life of the trans and the oil.

As for installation you can either use it in conjunction with the existing(radiator cooler) or on its own.

Using in conjunction is like this: The inlet pipe to the radiator remains unchanged. The outlet pipe from the radiator is cut using a pipe cutter not a hacksaw and, using a flaring tool, flare both ends of the pipe slightly. Next thing is to connect a rubber fuel hose and clamp to the outlet side from the radiator to the inlet side of your cooler and another hose from the outlet of the cooler back to the transmission, Easy!

The unit itself should be mounted away from the radiator if possible, however if you cant and you have to mount it on the radiator core, being carful not to damage the cores and always mount it at the bottem of the rad.

The water at the bottom of the cooling system should be the coolest(eg heat rises) thats why u need to install at the bottom
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 15:02   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I was told the Ford one fitted to the XR's are one of the best available. They are also easy to fit, coming with all the brackets etc. Don't know what they are worth though.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

coolers

4 speed auto? fit it to reduce the trans temp and add another 1l of oil to the system...prolongs the life and stops the hot oil from burning..ever notice that the s5 solenoid bangs the car into gear more than usual after a bit of a workout,,, cause the oil looses visciosty at high temp u start to burn the clutches too... the cooler fixed mine..well it takes alot longer to start to bang than it used to....$150.00 cheap compared to the $350 is was qouted for the solenoid..

price is fair,,, ATP i think sells em for about 130.00

get aN aftermarket jobby because they are around twice as big as the ford ones. but no harder to fit,, the lines run thru the nose under the drivers headlight and the cooler itself hangs in front of the a/c condensor

the best way to fit them is to drop the front bar..that way you can plumb it in neatly and get a firm pressure on the hose clamps...

hope it helps
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 15:52   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Just be carefull with the aftermarket ones, they may be bigger, but not always better. When I had my auto reconditioned, I was told not to get an aftermarket cooled for two reasons. Firstly they said the one fitted to my XR8 was tested to be one of the best in terms of cooling, and secondly, the larger coolers drop the line pressure in the trans slowing up the shifts, and increasing temps (the slower the shift, the hotter it gets).

This is only one mechanics opinion, but I would have thought that if they could see any improvement, they would have easily taken my $200, for the new cooler and fitting.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

XR one?

EDXR8 :are the XR ones black or aluminium finish?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 16:07   #7 (permalink)
Dreamer

well ford sell a davies craig tranny cooler for $130 with all pipes moulded into the correct shape, a new pipe to connected to the radiator tranny cooler

i recommend you go to ya ford dealer and buy there kit.

i went to marlow's (in WA) and paid $195 for tha exact same cooler (has the ford code on it) and tubes which werent moulded, and no extra pipe, i returned it the next day, and went to ford, looked at theres, and was in shock, handed over the $130 and saved time and money!

its a tiny little thing, but it does work, it cools very affectively, and when you go on a big trip, get the hose out, run your car, and spray the cooler, and your temp drops nice :)

anyhow, buy the ford one, so easy to install, everythings done for ya.

bitch to install, dont need to take the bumped off so i found out the day after i spent 5hrs installing it. pull the front mesh out of bumper, and you can fit it that way

goodluck
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 04:55   #8 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Question Transmission cooler

Hi i have an ebII and i have noticed another cooler in front of the radiator and i think its a trans cooler probably put on with the heavy tow pack. Not to sure can somebody confirm this.

Is there sucka thing that come oit or maybee it is an after market one. Or could it be something else. Its cored like a radatior i think and just looks like a mini radatior about 30cm by about 20 i think
just guessing beucase4 i noticed it the other day and thought it was stabdard equipment.

Plz someone post back and tell me if im right

Steve
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:00   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Yes. the little black radiator on the rh front is the trans cooler. On some of the Ford ones they also have thin capillary tubes inside so the fluid only flows when its hot and needs cooling. Checking my references that might only be on the Ford SVO/Racing Heavy Duty coolers.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:11   #10 (permalink)

hey guys thanks for all your input, how much extra oil would i have to know to put into the tranny?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline