transmission getting to hot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

Question transmission getting to hot

Gday can someone help me as i am not mechanically minded.....Ihave a 1996 ford LTD which i love and have just had the transmission recoed . I just had it serviced today after 2000k's .He tells me its getting to hot and i need an external trans mission cooler as the fluid is losing its viscosity and starting to burn.My questions are 1.... will this fix the prob?....2 Why did i get 240,000Ks out of the transmission without having one fitted in the fist place?
paul219a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 05:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: transmission getting to hot

G'day,
i assume your in aust!
a tranny cooler will always help! no matter what trans or application.

Now...did you have it serviced by the person that fitted it? if so, and there are issues, then it is a possible warrantly claim. If he fitted/rebuilt it, and is now recommending a cooler, then the cost of any repair will be on him. He should have reccomended the cooler in writing at time of fitment.

Like i said earlier, i presume its a 4 speed. the correct oil for these (TQ-95) is brown in colour and smells burnt from the bottle, and cannot be used as a guage to tranny condition. It is important in the 4 speeds to use the correct oil. If they have used dexron III in a 4 speed i am surprised it has lasted 2000k dexron II won't do half that.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 19:13   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your advise and yes i had it serviced by the guy who recoed it ,he tells me there is no damage yet but if it continues to run hot there could be.When the car is warm ,if i put it into drive from park or neutral sometimes it doesnt engage straight away i have to give the accelarator a slight touch then it engages... he said he doesnt want to adjust it any further as it will make the changing of gears rougher,he is also telling me that fitting the cooler will solve the problem. Is he telling me the truth? I am planning on getting the cooler fitted on monday in Footscray.My other problem is, (whilst i feel i got a good price on the tranny)I live in williamstown and he is in Emerald.......So what do you think?Thanks again for you...Paul
Old 01-20-2006, 21:49   #4 (permalink)

Sounds suspicious to me. Unless you're towing a caravan or big trailer, you shouldn't have any overheating issues. Like you said, you did over 200,000km's without one so why do you need one now?? It sounds like there's other problems in the trans, especially if it doesn't go into gear properly. The trans cooler may be a red herring!
P.S. I'm not saying that trans coolers aren't useful, but in this case it would seem that there's other problems.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 22:21   #5 (permalink)

Thanks ... thats what i am thinking as i do not use it to tow anything ,if you were me would you take his advise and get one fitted ,cos its gonna cost me just over a couple of hundreed bucks, im a bit unsure how to tackle this situation...cheers Paul
Old 01-21-2006, 01:56   #6 (permalink)

Fitting a trans cooler will help your auto run cooler but it won't fix the problems that you have. I suggest that they fix the gear shift problems first, should be under warranty.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:12   #7 (permalink)

I agree with Tuffltd!

I have a 12/91 eb. Same tranny. I got 376,000 out of mine. Ok i can service it myself. etc...

Have you ever had the power light flash at you? if the power light starts flashing then you are in an overheat situation!

Fitting a trans cooler will help with lengevity of your trans regardless!!.

But poor changing after rebuild indicates to me, that one of the solenoids is crook, and he is trying to put it back on you. If you are half handy with tools, fitting a tranny cooler isn't hard...once you get the bar off. I could do it in an hour!.

Another thing worth investigating is the condition of your battery connections....a poor one here WILL generate odd tranny behaviour.

JAs
Old 01-21-2006, 21:03   #8 (permalink)

Hmmm, the cooler is being recommended by the repairer as a bandaid-solution. I wonder what he is trying to cover up...??
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 00:32   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone i now have some idea what i am talking about... Firstly i have cancelled my booking for the tran cooler i will ring the tran fitter/ reconditioner 2morrow and book it in to refit a new solenoid and tell him if i still have probs after that i will consider getting cooler fitted. You guys may have just saved me $250 bucks.....sincere thanks Paul PS ill keep you posted
Old 01-23-2006, 04:29   #10 (permalink)

Paul,
i said it could be a solenoid...

But regardless. He repaired the tranny, and it isn't right, he has to fix it..under warranty!

Jas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline