Transmission (HELP!) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2003, 16:32   #1 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

Transmission (HELP!)

Hi all,
My 4 speed Transmission is dying. It's gone from clunking heavily in to gear, to slipping heavily between gears. It's gotten to the point where doing 100 on the freeway the accelerator is down enough to cause it to slip out of 4th and sit on 3rd or somewhere in between.

I realise I need a new transmission but everyone is quoting me $2000 - $2200 for a replacement auto. I had always planned on getting a conversion to manual done but every place I ring just says to go and buy a manual car.

Can anyone out there recommend someone to go to (in the western suburbs of Melbourne) who can do a conversion or replacement auto at a better price. At $2000 I will have no choice but to sell the car and cut my losses.

Please keep in mind that there is no chance of me doing any of the work myself cause I know F*** all about working on transmissions.

Thanks for any help in advance.

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

May seem like a silly question, but have you checked the fluid levels in the auto? Slippage can be a symptom of low oil in gearbox.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

Not a silly question at all. I know the fluid can cause much the same probs but i've checked it and it's spot on. I had a tranmission service around 2 months ago and they said that they'd found metal filings in there. I think i gotta resign myself to the fact that it's screwed.

I just got another quote:
$1700 fitted for a 4 speed
or $2310 for a manual!
Thats a whole lot of money just for a manual conversion

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 23:00   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Can't recommend a place, but try ford wreckers. . . I was quoted up here around $1,250 to convert an EL6 to manual . . . Of course it'll be a second hand gearbox that might not be in much better condition than your auto . . .
You can get it done cheap, but it'd be a risky thing, you might find it drops out in another 6 months

Heh . . depends on how much you like your car really, for you it *might* be cheaper and more sensible to go buy something else . . . For my EL XR8, I've been quoted $4,500 for a conversion ( all new bits except for a fully reco'd T5, to around $6,500 using a (I think) TR35-50 . . .

I would have thought you'd find someone down there . . . It seems that all the good ford mechanics are in melbourne :sad:
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline