Transmission info revealed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 03:32   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Transmission info revealed

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...256C2C0006A694

Transmissions:
FORD also used the opportunity to reveal a new transmission line-up for BA Falcon, including the Sequential Sports Shifter that will become standard on all automatic Falcons.

Developed in conjunction with Albury-based transmission supplier BTR, Ford's proven adaptive four-speed automatic transmission now comes standard with a manual shift gate with three modes.

In Drive mode, the transmission behaves as before, using five shift programs to adapt to the driver's needs based on part-throttle inputs. In the BMW-like Performance mode, selected by pushing the shift lever to the left from Drive, the transmission automatically disables fourth gear to give more responsive acceleration.

Finally, in manual mode, selected by pushing the shift lever forward or backward, the transmission can be manually operated by pushing forward to downchange or pulling backward to upchange.

Meanwhile, all manual V8 Barra models will employ the Tremec 3650 five-speed as seen in the 250kW T3, while all six-cylinder engines - including the 240T - will be mated to Falcon's current T5 five-speed manual.

"This program was all about delivering the total definition of what performance means," said vice-president of product development Trevor Worthington.

"So in order to make it an 'and' program rather than an 'or' program, we've really stretched the boundaries in terms of the tools the global Ford has to offer and the technology that the global Ford has to offer.

"The work for the six-cylinder powertrain was all led here, but significant involvement around the Ford world using analytical tools, physical testing and technical experts from around the Ford world, have helped us enormously with the powertrains and it's something that we're obviously proud of.

"A major key focus for the BA program was to make it more of a driver's car, that is you get into the car and drive it and say that is a fun car there's lots for me in it the driver," he said.
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2002, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
BA Turbo

bummer about the 240T using the same 5sp man as the AU. means all those wanting to modify them hard core are gonna have to find a new tranny...
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyc
bummer about the 240T using the same 5sp man as the AU. means all those wanting to modify them hard core are gonna have to find a new tranny...
My thoughts exactly. Remember when the T1 cars came out and the 220kW TS50 only came in auto because the T5 couldn't handle the torque? They must've really beefed up the T5 to handle the torque of the turbo. Sucks we don't get the T3650 though. You'd think that would have been a no brainer. As a buyer I'd gladly pay extra for the better gearbox and having the peace of mind knowing that my gearbox's guts won't stay on the road after I've done a few mods.

Guess time will tell. Hopefully they have beefed it considerably.

Might have to get the auto... :oo1:
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:31   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3Toed

My thoughts exactly. Remember when the T1 cars came out and the 220kW TS50 only came in auto because the T5 couldn't handle the torque? They must've really beefed up the T5 to handle the torque of the turbo. Sucks we don't get the T3650 though. You'd think that would have been a no brainer. As a buyer I'd gladly pay extra for the better gearbox and having the peace of mind knowing that my gearbox's guts won't stay on the road after I've done a few mods.

Guess time will tell. Hopefully they have beefed it considerably.
The T5 runs the V8 gearset to help handle the torque output but the real answer is that the torque has been "restricted" to ensure the box survives.

It also explains (of course) why the Turbo has such an incredibly flat torque "curve" (you can't really call this one a curve - more like a backward hockey stick). Baisc engineering principles tell you that there has to be some inteference to ptoduce those numbers!!

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:04   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yes i mentioned my curiosity about that decision in another thread. It really would be good to get the T3650 box in the 240T.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:31   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Just doing some research on the 3650, and it's shortcomings..

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/products/TR-3650.asp

So from Tremec, we have a box rated at 488Nm. To quote a particularly annoying marketing limmerick, "things that make you go hmmmm..." The new XR's, being production line models, aren't going to get "special treatment" in the transmission department unless there's something being modified in them between the ship and the production line!

AFAIK Ford has stated the maximum torque of the 3650 as being bang on 500Nm, also the max torque of the XR8. So naturally, the question needs to be asked - where to from there! Even the most casual of enthusiasts will eventually get around to modifications that increase the maximum torque figure, so is it wise for Ford to be riding the limit of the gearbox right out of the factory?

Now that we have monster stock engines, are we left with pansy stock transmissions? Food for thought...
Old 09-06-2002, 17:49   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunterâ„¢

There's always the TKO Kits available from lssmotorsports fellas.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 21:23   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Ford are under no obligation to spend more money to put stronger gearboxes in cars just so poeple can mod them. if you want to mod the car, you have to pay the price, and accept the fact that it's not just the engine parts you might have to replace. It's dissapointing, but it's a fact we all must come to terms with.

But it does beg the question "where to next?". FPV's will proably have about 430nm, which is too much for this box. I see no reason why they can't use a 6 speed tremec like the one used on the Hiller coupe Concept. I think we need a 6 speed for marketing purposes aswell.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 21:35   #9 (permalink)

roll

Being a bit inempt about gearboxes and such because I have a relatively passing interest in cars and I have no dosh...um 2 questions.

It seems that if you put that beefier gear box into the XRs and stuff thats gonna really push the price up? Am i right there?

1. maybe cos ford has put so much into the new v8 and turbo I6 it seems a shame that to cut the RRP they didn't consider going with the stronger gearbox.

2. but maybe what one of you said is right, ford doesnt have an obligation to put in a higher rated gearbox just in case people decide to modify these cars.

3. Maybe its a deterent; all a conspiracy theory so that people dont modify the new XRs so they stay in their original condition? maybe im tlaking shit.

4. Just from a simple point of view, if the gear box is rated @ 500Nm and the V8 is just on that, won't it possibly give the box a shorter life, especially due to the fact people are going to drive these cars pretty hard

just my 10c my 2c is free....
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 00:33   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
Just doing some research on the 3650, and it's shortcomings..

...AFAIK Ford has stated the maximum torque of the 3650 as being bang on 500Nm, also the max torque of the XR8. So naturally, the question needs to be asked - where to from there! Even the most casual of enthusiasts will eventually get around to modifications that increase the maximum torque figure, so is it wise for Ford to be riding the limit of the gearbox right out of the factory?
Gearboxes may currently be seen as the cars weak point, but is there any reason to think gearbox development has been left out of the program?

They've added the sports shift to the 4 speed auto, and the T5 is handling more power now than they said it ever could 5 years ago.

Look at the work Ford US did to help Ford Australia develop the BOSS 260 motor - we know that the Falcon engine program was taken dead seriously by the head office guys.

If the Tremec 3650 is maxxed out by XR8, what box is going into FPV's GT & GT-P.

Somewhere in a back room somewhere there must be a gearbox that will appear in those cars GP & DF say will obliterate HSV's power advantage once and for all. We just don't know what it is yet.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline