Ford Forums banner

Transmission problems

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Apollyon 
G
#1 ·
Hi there,

This is my first post in this forum, I did a search to see if my query would be answered without the need to repost the question but I was unsuccesful.

I currently own a 1993 (Dec) Falcon ED GLi 4.0 with an Automatic gear system. The car works fine generally but tends to have some gear changing issues if it gets pushed a little, for example, after a bit of heavy driving (fast acceleration) the car seems to get it self stuck in a high gear, so when I stop, and want to start again it takes god knows how long and doesnt sound so good either.

A mechanic here (brisbane) told me that the gearbox is damaged and gets it self stuck in 3rd gear, I wasnt sure of his judgement though it sounded logical, so I thought i might ask this forum for some advise as to what the problem maybe and how much it would cost me to get it fixed?

Thank you very much
Apollyon

#3 ·
sounds like limp home mode to me.....
But as for why , could be hundreds of things i guess....

James

#5 ·
mine had a lots of problem in 1st would go through gears 1/2/3 sometimes 4th (overdrive).
and sometimes stay in 3 all no matter what gear.
once in a wile doing 110 on the freeway jump to second for 2 seconds or so and hit the rev limiter wile still in drive.

my problem was the selector switch on the side of the box after a wile the contacts wear.

solved my problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.