Transmission PROBLEMS...I think? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2001, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
ProbeLX

Question Transmission PROBLEMS...I think?

Hey everyone,
This is my firstever post on here so bear with. I have an 89 Probe LX with a new engine and around 50,000 miles. Auto,2.2 Non-turbo. The problem has just happend the other night when I was driving up a hill the car died. So I put it into neutral and started it again and then into drive, it killed again. Then I put it onto flat ground and started it, and it killed when I put it into drive! Then I put it into reverse and it worked fine. The engine idles just fine when in park and neutral, and there are no wierd noises. Also the car will go into drive every five kills, then once in drive and stop it will idle fine, then when I rev up the rpm's to around 1500 it will putter out and kill!? This is the general idea of the problem. If you need more info just let me know. THANKS

Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2001, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

how exactly did it die? did the engine just cut out or what??

Also, can you rev it up in neutral??

does it idle like normal?
Old 12-27-2001, 21:42   #3 (permalink)
ProbeLX

I turned into my driveway and about halfway up it just killed. The engine just cut out. So I put it into neutral still on the hill, started it, then put it back into drive--then it killed again. It has never had a problem going up hills ever as well. I can rev it up to anything in neutral as well as reverse. In park it idles normal too. But in drive it just kills. any thoughts?

Nate
Old 12-27-2001, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

get a free analysis at the tranny shop.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:33   #5 (permalink)
ProbeLX

That is what I am leaning towards now. But if anyone has any ideas ....let me know, cause I am running out. thanks
Old 12-30-2001, 19:31   #6 (permalink)
Probe Member

Read

yep your tranny its going the way of the dinosaur, my friends tranny did that for like a week then at a right turn from a stop light it just broke and the car had to the towed by a truck
Old 12-30-2001, 21:46   #7 (permalink)
ProbeLX

I Fixed iT! The problem was that there was a tear in the intake boot inbetween the air filter and the throtle body. Whenever the car would shift into drive it would open the crack more and the car couldn't get enough air so it would kill. So I replaced the tube and it works. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 12-30-2001, 22:48   #8 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Good, I'm glad you fixed it! I was starting to wonder what the problem was myself!

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline