Transmission problems - Mountaineer V8 AWD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 11:41   #1 (permalink)
JMikeF

Transmission problems - Mountaineer V8 AWD

Quote:
Transmission:

It seemed to shift rather firmly at first, but after a few hundred miles it seemed to adapt (as it should) to our driving habits). It shifts real smooth 99% of the time, but once in a blue moon, it clunks on the 2nd to 3rd shift if I happen to be rapidly backing out of the throttle that instant -- rare, but weird.
The above quote taken from a thread on the 2002 Explorer. I know the drivetrain is different from the Mountaineer, but I had been experiencing the same problem. This AM, on my way to work, the transmission hiccuped, the message center issued a warning, and the O/D light started flashing.

So, off to the dealers tomorrow. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2002, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Big Poppa

All I can tell you is that on my 91 Explorer the tranny is messed up... OD doesnt work anymore and sometimes the tranny wont engage gears... Im starting to wonder if this is just a common thing with Explorer/Mountaineers...
83, 89, 93 Mustangs- (Bye Bye), 1988 Ranger XLT- (Also gone)
NOPOC
fiveliter302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 03:29   #3 (permalink)
JMikeF

Well, the O/D light came on, and would not go off. So I took it in to the dealer. At first they said nothing was wrong, but further inspection showed that the filter was clogged with metal shavings.

Once this was cleaned up, the shifting is much smoother, although I still experience anomolies that I believe are due to the computer. The computer can be reset, and I plan to have that done oat 15,000 miles.

Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased with my Mountaineer.
Old 07-11-2002, 20:04   #4 (permalink)
Big Poppa

Quote:
Originally posted by JMikeF
Well, the O/D light came on, and would not go off. So I took it in to the dealer. At first they said nothing was wrong, but further inspection showed that the filter was clogged with metal shavings.

Once this was cleaned up, the shifting is much smoother, although I still experience anomolies that I believe are due to the computer. The computer can be reset, and I plan to have that done oat 15,000 miles.

Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased with my Mountaineer.
Great!
Unfortunately I dont think Ill have such luck when I take mine in to have it looked at...
83, 89, 93 Mustangs- (Bye Bye), 1988 Ranger XLT- (Also gone)
NOPOC
fiveliter302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline