Transmission Replace - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 20:50   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Question Transmission Replace

Im looking to put in a manual transmission in my car to replace the C4. I want to know if I need to make a new hole for the stick, or does it come out the same place as the selector for the C4 did? I dont even have the transmission yet but I want to know what else is involved in this long job so I can prepare the car. I have the car sitting for the winter so its no big deal how long it will take. Any advice/tips on this job are welcome. Thanks all.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2001, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

Well, I went the opposite way (auto to manual), but I do have some answers for you. The shifter should end up in the same place. Hoses obviously. I am not sure about this, but if you have a manual car with an original radiator it may or may not have the setup for the transmission lines. All the aftermarket ones do. New pedal assembly. Remove z bar and pivot points etc. Drive shaft should stay the same. I think the crossmember is the same too.
Old 01-13-2002, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

You have choices to make. Toploader 4 speeds and BW and Tremec T5's are just as common. Then there's the heavier duty Tremec 5 speed transmissions and Richmond Gear 6 speed. I have experience with the T5. It mounts in 65/66 cars using a late bell housing or a transmission adapter. Each of these requires a different crossmember. These are already engineered and easy to find. Basically, its a bolt in. In my '65 I used CPC adapters and the shifter poked right through the hole in the perfect spot. I added a stock toploader bezel and boot on the interior side and it screwed in place perfectly. Looks like it was made that way. I use the classic look alike shift handle. You can use virtually any late shifter or custom make your own. The transmission has a stub shifter with two bolt holes in it. The shifter could be made from bar stock steel if you wanted to fashion one for yourself. This is a huge difference from the Toploader 4 speed which requires the shifter selector, rods and cranks, etc. See NPD's catalog for California Pony Cars adapters and Windsor-Fox for their adapters. Do not plan on mixing adapters as each brands engineering is unique. Windsor-Fox's approach is better if you wish cable clutch linkage and CPC's is probably better if you plan to use original z-bar clutch linkage. Cost is about the same for either the WF or CPC approach. Tremec heavy duty transmissions will cost a bit more and Richmond Gear will double your costs.
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline