Transmission still acting up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 21:57   #1 (permalink)

Question Transmission still acting up

OK more transmission issue... today coasting up to a stop sign and the guy in front of me went before I got there and I accelerated a bit to get up to the stop sign and it slipped... backs out of driveway fine and put in drive and it drives away fine and highway passing it down shifts and goes awesome... Had a trans shop diag it a few weeks ago, said it was fine ??? seems to be only a slow speed coast and back on the pedal issue.(.ie. someone is turning left in front of you... so you let up on gas rather than brake because you see they are going to turn b4 you get up to them, they turn, and you get back on the gas to continue on)
2005 P71 86000 miles..
may have never had pan dropped or flushed by PD I dropped Pan and replaced filter and put the 5qts back in ( 500 miles ago). fluid level fine... I am thinking a full fluid swap with fresh syn? Mercon V... and replace the oil cooler in case there is sediment or crap in there.... replace filter again?? anybody have this issue or any better ideas???? last time I checked... NO CODES... thanks guys Trans tune?? Lube gard??? NO LUCAS!!!
I asked in P71 forum Too
Truckie256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 05:51   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Transmission still acting up

Do you know what gear it is that's acting up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:59   #3 (permalink)

I think it is the down shift from 2 to 1,, slow neighborhood speed and let off pedal...

Well I looked today for a trans cooler... and all I can find for an exact fit is the FORD part for $200-$250... don't want to put universal in... one store said that if I end up replacing trans, that any warranty I get with replacement trans will want a receipt for a new cooler at transmission time, and that would mean I need to buy a second cooler from FORD ( Possibly) So I and had the trans fluid swapped out for $98 total without replacing the cooler... Now only time will tell... But the fluid was pretty dirty and smelled terrible.... I tried a few times to get it to slip on the way home and it DIDN'T, but it doesn't do it all the time anyway... crossing my fingers...
Old 05-02-2014, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I think 3-2 would be more likely. 1st gear uses the forward clutch and a mechanical one way clutch. It's not likely the mechanical is slipping like that. 2nd and 3rd also use the forward clutch. If it was a forward clutch issue should show in other gears or engagement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 21:33   #5 (permalink)

Not an expert at all,, kinda like when you let up on gas it only half downshifts.... get back on pedal and it slipped for a second then fine... doesn't bang or clunk.... Hopefully this flush has solved it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline