transmission trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
new ford guy

transmission trouble

I wanna start by thanking everyone for replying to my threads and being so helpful, i really appreciate it. I will be posting some pics of my truck very soon for you all to see. Its not pretty but its a work in progress.

Anyway heres the deal. This morning i took my truck in to get exhust put on my truck which is a 76 ford f-150 with a 390, it also has a c-6 transmission 4 wheel drive. Anyway, i take it out of the shop and it starts fine and i go to drive off and it takes off fine but it shifts out of first and into second at 10 MPH and immediately shifts right into third. Its almost like there isnt even a 3rd gear at all, but if i put it down into 2nd, it downshifts and then back into drive, i can feel it go back into 3rd. The weird thing is the top speed on the truck only goes to about 45 and the engine is completely rapped out. Weird huh? If i try to accelerate anything past that, the engine starts to cut out. I checked all the vacuum lines and they all seem to be hooked up. I did not check the cylinoid on the side of the transmission. I did check the fluid and its fine. Its not in 4-wheel drive and the hubs are free.
What could be the problem? Did my tranny just decide to take a $4it? I have no idea what the deal is, i have asked several people and their all puzzled. Please help im totally lost, and i dont really wanna buy a new tranny if thats not the problem. Thank you for your time and all of your help!! Have a great day!
kyle_ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Re: transmission trouble

Would be interested to see what the short shifting prob could be - I have a manualised C4 which short shifts 2nd-3rd - BUT only does it when cold......
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline