Tremec 3550 into XY 351C - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Question Tremec 3550 into XY 351C

I'm interested in understanding what is involved in swapping the top loader for a Tremec 3550 behind my 351C 4V

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 07:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tremec 3550 into XY 351C

OK - here goes. I've got a TKO waiting to go into my XD.

Firstly, the input shaft is longer than the toploader, therefore you can't use your toploader bellhousing by itself. There are 3 options for you to choose from.

1. Buy new custom bellhousing to suit tremec/351C: $350-400
Dellow Automotive in NSW - http://www.dellowauto.com.au/

2. Buy billet aluminium spacer plate from Mal Wood in QLD ~$250 from memory.
Goes between toploader bellhousing & tremec grearbox.
http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/

3. Nut case option - DON'T DO IT - machine input shaft.

Speak to the guys from the above shops - they will both tell you their option works well. I bought a new alloy bellhousing from Dellow's (they have both cable & hydraulic clutch options).

Thing's I'll be definitley checking after the bellhousing has been fitted is:
1. Gear box mounting face on bellhousing is PARALLEL with block/crank.
2. Concentricity - bellhousing will mount the gearbox input shaft EXACTLY in line with crankshaft. Both checks can easily be done with a dial gauge - see link.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/b...alignment.html

These important measurements will ensure long gearbox life/less worries (wearing bearings out/destroying spigot bearings in tail of crank etc). Big $$$ boxes to just slap up and install without proper checks.

Your standard toploader 10 spline clutch disc will fit your 3550 (TKO is 26 spline). I'd use a new throwout and spigot bearing. You currently using a single/twin plate clutch?

The output shaft is the same as the C4 & toploader so that should fit. May be slight issues with driveshaft length - should be OK. (TKO is 31 spline).

You have a shifter? There's the standard tremec version or plenty of aftermarket options.

Your speedo sender should work but DO NOT USE TOPLOADER SPEEDO COGS. Tremec ones are different - Can order from Dellows/Mal Wood.

Here's some links that provoide some good info on Tremecs:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/f...eakinProcedure

Thats about it for now! Do you already have the gearbox? or buying a secondhand one?

Here's a Tremec TR-3550/TKO instruction manual for you!! (pdf file)
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...-0510-0199.pdf

Tremec Home - http://www.ttcautomotive.com

Good luck! Don't hesitate with any other Q's.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2004, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

If your in brisbane, I'd take a trip down to Warwick (where Mal Wood is) and have a chat to the boys there. They're a good a good bunch, and its probably a good excuse to go for a bit of a drive in the XY ? :)

From what I understand they do a fair bit of work with the 3550's, so might even be good to talk to about sourcing one (if you don't have one already).
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:59   #4 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Thanks - I'll give Mal a call - might save a lot of heartache. I was going to pick up a box in the US in July

I'm going to use a shifter from my 70 Cougar Eliminator - Hurst - which will probably get the motor and box until I get the XY rebuilt.

Appreciate your responses - very informative - great links

Regards

Last edited by leonbray; 03-08-2004 at 03:02.
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:30   #5 (permalink)

Where in the US are you going? I got my TKO from Florida for US$1350 which included shifter and heavy duty yoke.

Cheapest I could find a new 3550 for was ~US$1250.

What sort of gearbox/shifter do you presently have in your Cougar?

Cheers - hope that exchange rate keeps working for you!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Going to west coast - Cougar Nationals and a show in Seattle

Eliminator currently runs a toploader with Mickey Thompson shifter - separate revers lock out - but I have a Hurst to go back in it

Spoke to Mal - he can do the whole swap over (exchange box) for around $4k - drive up to Warwick and pick the car up the next day - might even get him to swap the 3.0 to 3.5 at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline