Tremec Overhaul Anyone Done It? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 03:24   #1 (permalink)

Tremec Overhaul Anyone Done It?

Just bought a tremec 3550 which the owner said was very noisey in all gears except 4th. Has anyone ever pulled one apart? Easy? I've got the TTC gearbox manual pdf download, but nothing beats real world experience. Anyone?

TIA
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 07:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tremec Overhaul Anyone Done It?

I just put my new one in!

I have the PDF file too! Holy cow, there's a lot of bits in these boxes!!

4th is the direct line 1:1 ratio with the crank, so there's no gear ratios required & hence the lack of nose from bearings etc.

Tremec expert on Oz is Mal Wood.
http://www.malwoodauto.com.au

Give him a buzz if you need any info.
Old 06-28-2004, 23:50   #3 (permalink)

Cheers TruBlu351. How much was that Tremec? I just bought one of the last brand new TKO's from USA. It was still on a ship sailing to NZ and a 3550 came up on our local internet auction site. I picked it up for NZ$415+ $60 shipping. My TKO ended up costing me NZ$3000 landed and GST paid. Hopefully the 3550 noise isn't terminal....
Old 06-29-2004, 00:01   #4 (permalink)

Got the TKO for US$1395 two years ago when I was over there and also got a Pro 5.0 shifter.

Fitted it last weekend. Not totally happy with the SMOOTH gear shifts I was hoping for. But I'll run it in a bit longer and see how I go. Bit notchy on the synchros.
Old 06-29-2004, 00:04   #5 (permalink)

The TKO's are going for $4000 plus over here in Australia so good deal on yours!

You going to use a spacer or new bellhousing?

One trick Mal just told me which works (depanding on your uni-joint sizes) when running a 1350 size 31 spline yoke: turn your tail shaft around backwards and you'll be able to get uni-joints to fit it back up. Keeping it the normal way, you may have to cut the driveshaft and weld on different front loops.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29   #6 (permalink)

I've got a toploader b/h but want to run a cable clutch, so I'm thinking maybe I'll spring for a new b/h. What do you think? The catch is that I want to run my 11" centreforce clutch. The Yanks couldn't help me with a b/h to suit the large diameter flywheel, only 10.5" clutch small diameter flywheel stuff. How does Mal compare with Castlemaine rod shop? Any others worth a look? Fitment into an EL falcon is important.

Cheers
Tris
Old 06-29-2004, 06:40   #7 (permalink)

I'm running my big 11" HD clutch.

Mal & Castelmain Rod shop sell spacer plates that go between the new g/box and your b/h. This makes up for the longer input shaft on the tremec. Then you can keep your current setup. They're about AUS$250 I think from memory.

I bought a custom alloy b/h from Dellow Automotive in NSW. It's specifically made for a tremec behind a ford V8. They come to suit either a hydraulic or cable clutch (tell them before ordering). It set me back AUS$450........and 11" clutch fits.

I checked the fitment with a dial gauge and it looked OK. Concentricity was out by 0.0025" and checking for parallel to block it was out 0.004" What contributed to this was me bolting the b/h back up and I caught a wire in the top between block & b/h(couldn't see from underneath). Just a tip before your crank the bolts up tight and put the gearbox in!! Bugger to get the wire out after!!

Here's a few links you may find useful.
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/techref.html

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/f...eakinProcedure

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/b...alignment.html

http://www.mcleodind.com/hints.asp
Old 06-29-2004, 06:43   #8 (permalink)

Forgot the Dellow's link.

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/main.html

Mal has the knowledge!! He's fitted tremecs into everything and will have answers to ALL your questions ref EL fitment!!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:48   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xafalcon
I've got a toploader b/h but want to run a cable clutch, so I'm thinking maybe I'll spring for a new b/h. What do you think? The catch is that I want to run my 11" centreforce clutch. The Yanks couldn't help me with a b/h to suit the large diameter flywheel, only 10.5" clutch small diameter flywheel stuff. How does Mal compare with Castlemaine rod shop? Any others worth a look? Fitment into an EL falcon is important.

Cheers
Tris
To go into an EL you will need to use a small diameter F/W, of the correct balance, and hence a 10.5" clutch. Otherwise your starter moter will not fit, among other problems. Ben.
Old 07-01-2004, 00:17   #10 (permalink)

Cheers Ben

I was looking at the Castlemaine rod shop left hand starter bellhousing, so the starter motor problem should disappear. My engine (347) is balanced to 28oz-in so no problems there.

You seem to be a very knowledgable person on 5 speed conversions. Maybe you can shed some light on one question I have. I have seen an EA running a clevo and FMX. All FMX's were large diameter flex plate. It was running a standard starter motor (solenoid on starter, not rat-trap starter) on the right hand side of the engine. I spoke with the owner who said it was tight, but by installing the engine/trans complete with starter, it still fitted without touching the steering rack. To remove the starter the steering rack had to be removed though.

My question is this. Are the EA and EL dimensionally identical in this area, or is the EL tighter? I was also considering running the toploader b/h with an adaptor plate for the TKO and a hi torque starter motor which is shorter and smaller than the old style starter. But if the EL is tighter, I will go with the LH starter b/h.

This and any other tips gratefully received.

Cheers
Tris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline