Vibration when decelerating. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 06:34   #1 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Vibration when decelerating.

Need some info guys and girls.

My car, an EL Fairmont 5L V8, has developed a very slight vibration in the past few weeks.

I have a theory.

Now, the vibration is only present under deceleration or VERY light throttle. Dropping the auto back into 3 from D will make it more noticable under deceleration. The car has only done 88,000kms. The vibration has only started since I fitted the Superlows. It is not the zorst.

Here is my theory. It's the universal joints. I'm thinking this because now that I've lowered the car the tailshaft is sitting in a different 'home' position, the uni's at different angles. After 88,000 the rollers and races in the uni's would have wear. Now I've changed their 'home' positions they are using different surfaces in the joints, causing the annoying vibration. If the joints were greasable a few pumps with a gun would probable fix it. Also, the vibration appeared suddenly, not gradually.

Any thoughts welcome.
Does my thinking sound plausable?
I'm not ruling out it could be the harmonic balancer or something else entirely unrelated and the timing of it happening when I lowered the beast being a coincidence.
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 06:43   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Vibration when decelerating.

Does sound reasonable... GO change em to be sure !!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:44   #3 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

If the general opinion turns out to be uni's what do people recommend? Genuine Ford or something else?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:10   #4 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Could be something as simple as a wheel balance. If a front wheel/s are out of balance, it'll be a bit more noticeable once the car has been lowered.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:16   #5 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Thanks AUGZMK, but I definately think it's not wheels.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:15   #6 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Any more ideas on this one?
I have ruled out harmonic balancer, I marked it and checked again a week later and the marks still align. The tailshaft hasn't bottomed on anything. Another thought I had is the change of pinion angle may be the cause. The diff housing has multiple mounting holes for the top suspension arms, so may be able to test that theory.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:29   #7 (permalink)
jac

I would agree that the "shudder" you are experiencing is because of the change in pinion nose angle.
The angle of the pinion nose should be within a couple of degrees of the angle from the transmission slip yoke so that they cancel one another out. The pinion angle changes slighlty as the diff winds, so I reckon your decel vibration is probably because the angles are slightly out. You could try shimming the trans mount or adjust the diff angle to correct.
Let us know how you go....
jac.
jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46   #8 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

I looked at the three mounting holes in the diff for the top arms. Only two are usable, due to the way the captive nuts are held in place, the two outer ones. If I move the arms to the currently unused holes it will drop the nose further. I think this will make the vibration worse, or do you think the nose is too high and has to go down? I'm getting sick of laying under the beast scratchin' my head... there isn't a lot of room under there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline