Well that one didn't last long! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2004, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Well that one didn't last long!

My clutch is slipping badly now. I can get the car to 100 but in 3rd 4th and 5th if I try to accelerate it will let go. It's done 40,000km so far.

What clutches have people put behind the windsor?

Ford made 2 clutches for the E-Series - a standard one and an uprated one used in the XR8 and the GT/Sprint. I am pretty sure mine was the standard one as it wasn't that long ago that it was new from ford and the GT clutch is discontinued.

New clutch prices are:

Ford standard - 330
Some unknown brand name clutch same spec as GT is $400 (ricerbarn)
Bursons with PBR clutches - standard spec $487 and GT spec $530 (they were nice and didnt bother telling me the retail price of them)
Ricerbarn said that a Daiken clutch of the GT soec woould be around $800.

Does anyone know the specs of the 2 clutches? Would it be worthwhile looking into a custom clutch or are there even hevier duty units avalible?

Just trying to think out what I should do instead of jumping thr gun and regretting it later
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 18:50   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Re: Well that one didn't last long!

Have a look at www.xclutch.com.au

They are part of Adelaide Clutch Service and we deal with them through work. If you find one that suits, let me know and I can get you a price on it. I just recently got a clutch for my V6 Telstar with 40% heavier clamping force for like a quarter of the price of a genuine one.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 19:30   #3 (permalink)

I got my clutch setup through Adelaide Clutch Service. Its a luk heavy duty clutch (actually a holden V8 clutch and pressure plate). It hasnt slipped once on me yet even though I give it shit on a regular basis. It also is very light on the foot as well. I think it cost me around $350 for the setup.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 19:38   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Yeah LuK is a good brand. We sell LuK tractor clutches at work, some of them are pretty fancy looking! I once accidently left a $1200 Deutz clutch outside in the weather for like 2 weeks (mind you it was pissing down rain for those 2 weeks!), you can imagine how popular I was with the boss. hehehe.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:18   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
My clutch is slipping badly now. I can get the car to 100 but in 3rd 4th and 5th if I try to accelerate it will let go. It's done 40,000km so far.
Maybe you need to learn how to drive
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:50   #6 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

are you running a cable or hydraulic clutch? if its cable have you considered maybe that your clutch hasn't been adjusted properly?
and yeah sometimes you need to consider your driving style can be part of the problem
Old 10-15-2004, 03:30   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinna
Maybe you need to learn how to drive
Thanks for the comment. Now stay out of my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHeadRon
are you running a cable or hydraulic clutch? if its cable have you considered maybe that your clutch hasn't been adjusted properly?
and yeah sometimes you need to consider your driving style can be part of the problem
It's cable. The adjustment was the first thing I checked. I can pull the cable about 5mm out from the firewall before it gets tight which is about right according to the manual. I do drive hard sometimes but a lot of my problem is the amount of towing I do.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:35   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
It's cable. The adjustment was the first thing I checked. I can pull the cable about 5mm out from the firewall before it gets tight which is about right according to the manual.
Where does the clutch engage/disengage? I have mine set so it disengages when the pedal is about 1.5 inches from the floor.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:20   #9 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

consider that rawlinna may have been offering some constuctive critisism, not taking the piss out of you
if you go a heavy duty clutch they are normally rated at 30% or more clamping pressure to your standard unit, this will mean you should upgrade your cable to a hydraulic clutch master and slave or you will have no end of problems with the cable streching
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline