What choices do I have? (EA 5spd died) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 06:35   #1 (permalink)

Question What choices do I have? (EA 5spd died)

Hi there,

My car (XD w/ 351c) is at the mechanic as the gearbox started making lovely funny noises. It has an EA 5 speed, and it seems 3rd gear may be missing a few teeth or something (just guessing).

What happens is that there's a ticking sound coming from the gear box, even when in neutral. Accelerating causes the ticking to become louder, and using 3rd gear the ticking grows into a banging/knocking sound. My assumption is that 3rd gear has lost some teeth.

The mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow, but unless it's really easy, I don't expect him to come back with any good news. I figure it's close to the weekend, so I might as well do the work, as long as I know what the problem is, and what the solution is :s1.

So my question is, what options do I have? I like having a 5th gear, so is it possible to get a kit to rebuild gearboxes? Are there changeover places, and where would I find them? I need my car for work, so having it done before Monday is basically a necessity... I have another car but it's still very rough to drive (I have no idea what engine it's got in it), and I don't know how reliable it is (doesn't like to start, idle is around 1.3K just so that it doesn't stall, dizzy needs to be remapped, etc.).

Help please?
-Truffles
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2004, 08:53   #2 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

Re: What choices do I have? (EA 5spd died)

rather than repairing your dead box start hunting down a v8 t5 (like out of a EL XR8).

they're quite common and as long as you're not dumping the clutch with fat tyres all day it should do what you want.

the other option you have is to go for a TKO but that kind of conversion you're looking at $4k+!

good luck!

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

Re: What choices do I have? (EA 5spd died)

Thanks for that... just found out something else about the EA box. Apparantly the bolt holes have been modified, and the part that connects to the engine has been ground down so that it would fit.

Is the T5 the same as the EA gearbox, and need modifying or would it fit more nicely?

Thanks again,
-Truffles
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline