Ford Forums banner

what colour should my tranny fluid be? 85le

5K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  juarez 
#1 ·
i just got my xr6's tranny serviced and now theres a large leak. theres a massive patch on my driveway that wasnt there before the service. i checked the level and it was fine but the fluid is still brown. i thought tranny fluid should be blood red? i mean it is a lighter brown that what it was, but i paid for a flush, not for them to add 500ml of new fluid.

please tell me im mistaken and all is good.

#3 ·
burns fast like 1 day? it went in yesterday morning.

#5 ·
When you get the auto serviced the fluid is drained from the pan area but the the torque converter remains full so the colour doesnt usually change too much.
The filter's the most important thing as when it cloggs up it reduces the flow and causes the trans to get hotter as the fluid acts as a coolant

#7 ·
well, anyone know a GOOD and REPUTABLE tranny place on the northside of brisbane? im willing to pay again to get a 2nd opinion and to actually get a flush and service.

#9 ·
MADNC_8 said:
the thing is though he paid for a system flush not just a fluid change, so they shoulda got it all out of teh converter.
true depending on how black it was usually it takes around 20 litres to "flush" correctly and method can vary depending on flusher.

when i flush transes i use this procedure.

remove one cooler line from radiator and start engine.

leave idling till fluid gives a spurt signalling nearly empty.

switch off engine and refill trans,and reattatch cooler line.

raise hoist up so wheels off ground and run vehicle through all gears holding in each for a minute if possible or running up and down thru shift patterns.

remove cooler line again,start up and repeat emptying of trans,this time filling trans with clean oil as its emptying untill it comes out clean from cooler lines.

i always do the shift part due to varnish and other contaminates being in valve body components and lines which do not get flushed in most cases,making the oil off colour reasonably quickly with customer complaint" is it flushed as it looks black again".

hopefully it will give you some info regarding this matter.

#11 ·
XRated said:
derb, may I ask what this set you back? I wouldn't mind getting mine flushed very soon. BTW, did you notice any difference in gear changes etc?

Cheers.
i really wouldnt go there mate, they ripped me off so it seems. it cost $113 but its pretty sub-stanard.

#12 ·
Anyone know any good tranny service places out east of Melb? I am willing to travel quite a distance for this once in a lifetime event :p And because it is running all original fluid, and has never been touched to my knowledge, I want the best service possible, iregardless of price.

#15 ·
azzy2545 said:
Foregoing adjusting bands for those that aren't bravehearted a trany kit (filter and seal) costs about$12 for a BTR, fluid about $14 so theres a flush for $26
thats not even close buddy... the kit is around that money but $14 dollars worth of 4 speed oil is not even 3 litres.. You are just servicing the box, changing the oil in the pan not the lines, pump or convertor...a flush is around 15/20 litres of oil

#18 ·
preston auto n diffs wont **** u around i know that much and good quality work to if your prepared to travel to preston that is

#21 ·
hehe, ok, preston is a little further than I had planned. I'd have to wait around while they did the service, and last time I wanted to do this, I rang 2 places and one said it'd take hours (cause they had to let it cool off first).. the other said they could do it immediately.. not very reassuring by the way.

I dunno, I guess I'll try Bayswater :p

#22 ·
BTW racecraft I was refering to my example a BTR trans(3 speed),The $16 is for the 3 litres, I have quoted a standard transmission fluid change.
I fully appreciate the complete fluid change but, its not something you would normally get 99% of the time with a paid for transmission service. If you think you would well good luck with Santa CLaus.
I like the idea of changing all the fluid as I know my car wouldn't have had the fluid changed in the last 5 years due to the neglect of the previous owner. Anyone know of cheap sources of large containers of Trany fluid?

10lt or 20lt?

#23 ·
Well, 4spd trannies are not as tough as 3spds, and at least in my case, it has never had a service, so I think a full flush is definitely in order.. cheaper than putting a reco one in in a year or so, when it dies from abuse :p

#25 ·
Pfffft $28 bucks for 4 litres is cheap as! I paid 20 bucks for 2 litres of LSD oil!

What do the 4 speeds take? Dextron 3 or what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.