What is this diff ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 22:35   #1 (permalink)

What is this diff ???

hey

my mate has an ea2 fairmont ghia 3.9l that he is selling in bits. i got the interior off him and was looking at the diff but he doesnt know what they originally came out with. on the small tag it says 3.23 and on the big tag (which is almost unreadable now) the only word i can make out is slip. is this an LSD. because i want to fit an lsd into my ea. if so are these a good ratio and will it improve on my 2.77. also will it increase fuel economy and power.

thanks
keysersozeCUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 01:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: What is this diff ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersozeCUST
hey

my mate has an ea2 fairmont ghia 3.9l that he is selling in bits. i got the interior off him and was looking at the diff but he doesnt know what they originally came out with. on the small tag it says 3.23 and on the big tag (which is almost unreadable now) the only word i can make out is slip. is this an LSD. because i want to fit an lsd into my ea. if so are these a good ratio and will it improve on my 2.77. also will it increase fuel economy and power.

thanks
That is almost certainly an LSD. It will be a big improvement in terms of pick-up on your current diff. The easiest way to tell if an assembled diff is an LSD is to turn one axle and watch the other axle. If the other axle spins the same way it's an LSD and if it spins the other way it isn't an LSD.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)

Ratio will be 3.23 as stated. To check if it a LSD turn one axle and look at the other; if it rotates same direction it will be an LSD(open centre will spin axle opposite way). If it is a LSD get someone to hold other axle while you turn it; if there is little resistance the LSD will probably be in need of a rebuild.

The 3.23 will make the car quicker of the mark and seem lighter to the engine i.e. greater response. It will also rev higher and use slightly more fuel.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:51   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the info everyone. how much is a good price to get the diff fully recond.

thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 01:11   #5 (permalink)

anyone ?? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline