Ford Forums banner

What is this diff ???

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  keysersozeCUST 
#1 ·
hey

my mate has an ea2 fairmont ghia 3.9l that he is selling in bits. i got the interior off him and was looking at the diff but he doesnt know what they originally came out with. on the small tag it says 3.23 and on the big tag (which is almost unreadable now) the only word i can make out is slip. is this an LSD. because i want to fit an lsd into my ea. if so are these a good ratio and will it improve on my 2.77. also will it increase fuel economy and power.

thanks

#2 ·
keysersozeCUST said:
hey

my mate has an ea2 fairmont ghia 3.9l that he is selling in bits. i got the interior off him and was looking at the diff but he doesnt know what they originally came out with. on the small tag it says 3.23 and on the big tag (which is almost unreadable now) the only word i can make out is slip. is this an LSD. because i want to fit an lsd into my ea. if so are these a good ratio and will it improve on my 2.77. also will it increase fuel economy and power.

thanks
That is almost certainly an LSD. It will be a big improvement in terms of pick-up on your current diff. The easiest way to tell if an assembled diff is an LSD is to turn one axle and watch the other axle. If the other axle spins the same way it's an LSD and if it spins the other way it isn't an LSD.

#3 ·
Ratio will be 3.23 as stated. To check if it a LSD turn one axle and look at the other; if it rotates same direction it will be an LSD(open centre will spin axle opposite way). If it is a LSD get someone to hold other axle while you turn it; if there is little resistance the LSD will probably be in need of a rebuild.

The 3.23 will make the car quicker of the mark and seem lighter to the engine i.e. greater response. It will also rev higher and use slightly more fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.