What diffs fit into XB coupe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 20:46   #1 (permalink)

What diffs fit into XB coupe

Looking to replace the diff in an XB coupe for LSD Disk brake one. Dont want to put in a 9" so what 8 3/4 diffs would fit and what sort of probs could i run into?
panda30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 21:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: What diffs fit into XB coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda30
Looking to replace the diff in an XB coupe for LSD Disk brake one. Dont want to put in a 9" so what 8 3/4 diffs would fit and what sort of probs could i run into?
Any XC or XD,ZH or ZJ etc. or even later Model Ute and Panel Van that used Leaf Spring's and/or if they used a Disc Brake Borg-Warner LSD to my knowledge will physically bolt straight your XB Coupe!!! Some thing's you will have to check for is correct Handbrake Cable length...example:A ZH Fairlane Diff uses a longer Handbrake Cable and will have to be replaced or shortened for use in an XB Coupe. I think V8 Borgwarner Diff's use a bigger Diff Yoke than a 6 Cylinder one?? You may need to use an XC Type Brake Booster and Master Cylinder set up as I think they don't need a seperate 'Proportioning Valve'???
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19   #3 (permalink)

i believe most ute rear axels should bolt on
Old 02-14-2005, 05:40   #4 (permalink)
Death by Ford

I would find a disc brake diff from either a V8 XD or a V8 ZJ fairlane, both are 4 pinion and very strong. All ZJ V8 fairlanes were disc brake rear and there are plenty in wrecking yards. Both of the above^ diffs will bolt in your XB.
You will have to remove the residual valve in your master cylinder when installing a disc rear end in place of a drum rear. You dont have to change master cylinders, just remove the residual valve. The valve is located behind the big nut on the front of the master cylinder, just undo the nut, remove the valve and replace the nut easy. Ford diffs - www.fordforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12248
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:39   #5 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVELAND JUNKY
I would find a disc brake diff from either a V8 XD or a V8 ZJ fairlane, both are 4 pinion and very strong. All ZJ V8 fairlanes were disc brake rear and there are plenty in wrecking yards. Both of the above^ diffs will bolt in your XB.
You will have to remove the residual valve in your master cylinder when installing a disc rear end in place of a drum rear. You dont have to change master cylinders, just remove the residual valve. The valve is located behind the big nut on the front of the master cylinder, just undo the nut, remove the valve and replace the nut easy. Ford diffs - www.fordforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12248
i removed a LSD centre from a 351 XD (supposedly ex-cop....) and it was a 2-pinion 25-spline centre. Only thing was i think it may have been originally a 6 cyl...other than that i do remember reading in SM that the 351 XD's and v8 XE's were the only ones in that falcon range that came with the 4-pinion.

though the easy way to check is by counting the splines as i think all 4-pinions have 28 splines....

[edit] definitaly agree, a 4 pinion LSD (in most cases) will be all you need.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:30   #6 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
i removed a LSD centre from a 351 XD (supposedly ex-cop....) and it was a 2-pinion 25-spline centre. Only thing was i think it may have been originally a 6 cyl...other than that i do remember reading in SM that the 351 XD's and v8 XE's were the only ones in that falcon range that came with the 4-pinion.

though the easy way to check is by counting the splines as i think all 4-pinions have 28 splines....

[edit] definitaly agree, a 4 pinion LSD (in most cases) will be all you need.
Yeah it could be a falcon or 351 thing, maybe only the higher models got the 4 pinion like the V8 fairmonts, Ghias and fairlanes. They may not have put them in standard falcon V8's? Ford seem to fit stuff at random sometimes, like playing the lotto LOL.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline