what is it with me and driveline - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2004, 23:14   #1 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

confused what is it with me and driveline

well last night after the street machine cruise, i went out and had a good time in the town, then on the way home i stopped buy a mates house in the hills, his got a huge property and no neighbours for about 2kms, his also got this burnout pad and he asked me to arc up the tyres on it, so being so stupid i did (with no need of water either) and only one wheel spun for about 10secs then i jumped on and off the brakes and both wheels kicked sitting there for about 40secs at 4000rpm, then backed off to 3500rpm for about 30secs and decided to pull a couple of slow donuts. after that i decided to take off and all was sweet, when i finally got to a corner the back end was jumping all over the show, think it might be an axle, im planning after work tomorrow to take my car to get looked at, then call up limoscene and a couple of other places for diffs. ill most probably pick one up tuesday and then have it fitted by the weekend.

is this a common problem with ea's? this is the second diff and im half way (more closer to 3qtrs) through a trans in 1.5yrs. would a locked diff be more stronger? i got my last diff for 50bux only because i pulled it out my self, and my ex girl friends dad knows the guy at the wrecker.

how much are 3.45diffs and how hard are they to fit to ea's.

Ehab

p.s this was all on a private property and if there are any problems with this post then mods do what you have to do.
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 23:32   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: what is it with me and driveline

Haha, well maybe not doing as many 2min standstills will help.

3.45 diff's will fit straight in, there is sometimes differences in lengths of the uipper control arm, but that is easily fixed by using the ones that are on the car still.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 00:49   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

It's a very common problem on EAs used for 2 minute standstills.

I'd suggest getting a 28 spline diff out of an EB II or ED, and the cheap way to put 3.45s is to get the diff gears out of a VL installed. You'll need a few new bushes in the back etc but it will be a stronger diff.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:02   #4 (permalink)

yep ED's will pull many 2mins+ standstills without blinking... the 28 sline 3.27's in my NC (although the LSD is worn out) don't even sneeze at lengthy tyre frying sessions. 3.45's would be my weapon of choice though.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:14   #5 (permalink)
{';'}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need PSI
...so being so stupid i did (with no need of water either) and only one wheel spun for about 10secs then i jumped on and off the brakes and both wheels kicked sitting there for about 40secs at 4000rpm, then backed off to 3500rpm for about 30secs and decided to pull a couple of slow donuts...
You've just answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

well i took the biatch for a drive and all was sweet, so im stumped!!! flew through some corners nothing, powered through corners nothing again, tromped it through some corners nothing at all, not a odd sound at all (which seems very odd considering what it used to do some times), so i guess something must have heated up too much. ohwell. thanks for all the replies though.

im still interested in a diff swap, but i wouldnt mind 3.7 ratio for when i get a 5speed in. any ideas were to go for such a job or how much it would cost me, also what axles to use?

Thanks
Ehab
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

what would of happend is the spider gears would of friction welded to gether or to the pin, after the burn out thats why it would of felt funny, it was driving like a locker till it cooled down
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

doing one wheel burnies gets the spider gears very hot, this weakens them and if you're lucky they'll blow up straight away. saves you from getting stuck in traffic a few days later they will die after a decent one wheel burnout,
assuming your diff has 25 spline axels you can buy a lsd 2.92 out of a ZJ fairlane(NOT 2.77 they have a different carrier) and get a 4 cyl cortina diff 3.77 and drive your car to a diff joint and get all the stuff put in your housing
be sure to speak to diff joint before buying anything as this needs to be verified 100% i was told this by a diff bloke (i've had work done by several places and cant remember which one told me about 4 years ago)
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:13   #9 (permalink)

I think your right. I did the same thing in my last XF, the diff made realy bad sounding noises for like 20 minutes after going nuts doing a lengthy standstill and then doughnuts. I thought it was fudged. But after leaving it sit a while everything was back to normal. I put it down to heat too.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 13:35   #10 (permalink)

Blew the diff in my XC Falcon 3 speed column shift manual after just dumping the clutch. It let go the next day in my g/f's driveway. My old EA diff which was a stock 2.92:1 ratio open-wheel was quite noisy, hence why i swapped it for a 3.27:1 V8 diff out of an EB.

No matter what i do to the car, it hasnt whinged or complained. Glad that diff only cost me $250.

Regards
Mick
EB II 3.27:1 LSD
108.4rwkw
:td:

If they had black box recorders in Commodores, the final words would be "watch this bro!"
EVL-TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline