Whinging in tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 19:11   #1 (permalink)

Whinging in tranny

I've got an EL Fairmont Ghia V8 and it has a shocking whinging noise in the transmission, makes it sound like a taxi!!
I had a transmission service and the bloke who looked at it said that brass deposits from the coil in the radiator were getting dragged by the oil through the transmission and into the gears at the back of the transmission. According to this guy you can't fix it, and in order to get the brass out, the tranny needs to be rebuilt. He also said that the transmission may last a week or may last a year.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Also if the tranny goes I am considering a manual conversion.

Cheers,
David.
offyaguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: Whinging in tranny

My mate had this same problem after he serived his AU forte auto. He got this loud planetry gear type whine. He was worried for a while, but it came good. We don't think that it had been serviced in 137,000km and the new fluid was just too thin. Although I asked him when he serviced it if there was much schrapnel on the magnet at the bottom of the pan when he changed the filter and gasket and he said there wasnt much at all.

Good luck mate, hopefully yours will come good.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:52   #3 (permalink)

we have seen a number of problems with these transmissions, most common noise comes from geartrain (reverse sungear) is it mostly noisy in 4th gear? they also put out a high pitch noise in neutral caused by a blocked filter, they also get a noise from converter when pulled into gear. mostly the ones i have seen with a lot of brass in pan comes from the cooler tube submerged in rhs radiator tank, havnt heard of them making noise before, if noisy in 4th can convert to ea style planet set.
automatics of marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 17:31   #4 (permalink)

yeah the whine is there in all gears, accelerating and just rolling, but noise is not present if rolling in neutral. It's the loudest whine at at 90km/hr, a high pitched constant noise that differs depending on acceleration.
the car has only done 120000kms and the trans guy said that it might have been serviced only once, maybe twice cause the oil was black.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:25   #5 (permalink)

i suspect it may be torque converter, does noise come soon as u pull it into any gear.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:26   #6 (permalink)

i suspect it may be torque converter, does noise come soon as u pull it into any gear. i have seen it happen with 50000ks
Old 08-26-2004, 07:43   #7 (permalink)

Definately not there when i put it into gear, but on acceleration, even in reverse, there is the constant whine. If i get to a certain speed, say cruising at 60km/hr, if I take my foot off the accelerator, the whine is louder, but if I put a small amount of pressure on the accelerator, bairly accelerating, the whine nearly disappears.
Pretty hard to explain!!!! That's about the best I can do

Cheers guys
Old 08-29-2004, 04:25   #8 (permalink)

it sounds like it is a torque converter or pump noise we have replaced converters without rebuilding whole transmission and had a lot of success
Old 08-29-2004, 16:51   #9 (permalink)

Any idea what a torque converter is worth? If it's within price range, I guess there is no harm in giving that a go....thanks for the help
Old 08-29-2004, 19:54   #10 (permalink)

Where does all that brass swarf come from? I just rebuilt a 93LE from an EF and could not find anything made of brass that was worn. Does it come from the torque converter?
MADAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline